1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

audition dilemma

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by schecter5string, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I have an audition on Friday night, that is not the problem, the problem is that I don't have a drivers license. I want to go to the audition and play, then if they like me tell them about my drivers license, I am willing to pay to get to rehearsals, so do I tell them before the audition or after?????
    Do you think they will feel I am wasting their time? what if I nail the audition, I feel if I go in there and nail it the license thing will not be as big of a deal.
    please tell me what your band would do in this situation, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

2. It's not good. I doubt many bands would like to become your personal chauffeur.

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If you are going to pay to get to rehearsals, why not pay to get to the audition? Unless you are talking about paying one of the band members.

I played in a band a couple of times with people that didn't have licenses. It is ALWAYS a hassel for the other members sooner or later. Sorry, but I wouldn't do it again.

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv

6. I'm another who would be wary of hiring a musician without transport, but I have seen it work.

If you will never have a licence again, then you need to figure out how you will manage the situation. For example, a rig you can transport in taxis and on public transport.

If you will have a licence again, you still need a plan, but you probably have more options, since there may be more room to take a financial hit if you know it's only short term.

Whatever plan I made, it would not depend on transport from the other band members or from friends. Neither is sustainable in my view.

Provided you have a workable plan to be self-sufficient, then I don't know you need to bring the topic up, unless you need specific information. For example you might arrange to store gear at a rehearsal studio because that lets you go to rehearsal via bus rather than taxi, so you need to know where rehearsals will be. Of course, if asked I would fully disclose. But the fact that you have a clear, workable approach would mitigate things at least partially.

The reasons might also matter. I had a good friend who was blind. We were willing to assist him more than normal because of his circumstances. Other reasons might be not owning a car for environmental reasons, or because public transport is workable and cheaper in your circumstances.

Good luck with it, hope it works out well for you.

7. I will be getting them back it is a $1,300 dollar issue, so yes I will get them back but it could be awhile before i can raise the funds to do so.

8. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    Our drummer is blind. He is worth it in every way.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How old are you and how old are the guys in the band?

10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    How many times is "times" you'll need a ride?

If you can surely make all rehearsals/gigs, then it's nobody's business how you get there. Everyone doesn't use their own cars to get where they need to go.

My neighbor is in my band, and has no license, but he’s my neighbor, so it’s easy. Maybe someone in the band lives nearby and would be happy to help for some gas money; car-pooling can be a win-win if both are contributing accordingly.

I'd do the audition then let them know, but before the make a decision.

11. They can be fun.

My guitarist friend had artificial eyes which could be removed. Some years ago when McDonalds had an advertising slogan of "Keep your eyes on your fries!" he used to.......well you can work it out but the reactions were priceless!!!!

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I didn't read all the posts.

If your in high school and this is a high school basement hobby band, you might be able to work something out.

If you are an adult and this is a working band with gigs booked it might be a problem. How would you get to gigs.

Sorry but without knowing your age, I can't help much. Wish I could.

$1300.00 ?

13. Age is in his profile. If he's still in high school he's got bigger problems than his licence :p

14. If you were auditioning fo my band, I wouldn't care if you had a license. HOWEVER, getting to and from practice is YOUR problem. As long as you show up and it doesn't affect the band, it's fine with me.

That said, if you needed a ride and you weren't too far out of the way, a ride would be no problem.

I'd say do the audition. After, you can let them know the situation. Then they can decide.

15. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    haha, thats awesome

16. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Taxi. Whats the problem again?;)

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I got a gig in one band because their bass player had too many DUIs and always needed a ride. I wouldn't even think about hiring someone who did not have transportation.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Personally, I find it inconvenient (at worst) playing with musicians without there own transportation. Its never seemed to stop me, though...

My last band: out of 5 of us 4 had licenses. One of them had no car. Another of them had more than 1 DUI and was no longer allowed to drive. That got old real quick.

My current band: Bandleader has no license or car, but lives with his sister who is our lead guitarist. She had a car, but it broke down about 3 weeks ago. Bandleader plans on getting a car & license in the coming months, though.

Somehow, though, people usually tend to get where they need to be without my assistance.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Seems to me that if you have money to pay to get to rehearsals, you should be putting that money towards paying off the $1,300.

How long has it been since you owed the $1,300?

If it's been awhile, sounds like you're just letting in hang there.

I suggest you get on a payment schedule and take care of it $1 at a time.

20. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My drummer has no car. Its a pain for the whole band driving him around, but he is an incredible guy and a great drummer so its worth it for us.