1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audition for a band that isn't my style but has perks

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Zodion, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    So right now I'm in a start up band with my buddies from college and we are taking things slow to find our niche and sound, break in the new guy etc. This is a metal band and metal is my favorite genre of music.

Now today I was asked if I would audition for a popular local band because their bassist decided to move and do something new in his life (he's in his early 20's). Funny thing is that a family member of mine is actually in the band, and she and the lead guitarist both think I should try out (they know me and it'd be easier bringing me in than a stranger)

This band does "rock" and even though it's not my style, there are cool aspects to their songs like Spanish guitar and the songs are original. They play shows regularly and recently recorded at a real nice studio for their second album which is now in post production.

They all are older (the bassist was the exception and so am I) but what's cool is that age doesn't matter, it's the music that counts. They all have families and don't expect to travel far, it's more or less for the music and love of playing out for people.

I'll get a ton of experience if I play with them and I'll get to play out, record, and get paid :bassist: plus i can do other projects at the same time (old bassist did that too) so I won't be limited to what I can do and I'll have creative freedom.

Most importantly, the band are really nice people and its easy to get along with them. :)

So what do you think fellow bass men? As bassists we are always in demand and this is one of those instances:cool:

2. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I say go for it. You will get some experience under your belt, and it sounds like you won't have any problems fitting in. And if you have the freedom to pursue other projects, even better!
    Best of luck and keep us posted mate

Gabbs, carsbybigd, old spice and 6 others like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Metal to rock? I think you'll be fine. It's not like you're going to country...

It sounds pretty good to me. I'd do it if everything else fit what I was looking for.

Zodion likes this.
  4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Do it! You'll have a good time and earn some valuable experience.

Robert B, Humbled and Zodion like this.
  5. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    Idk how I'm going to learn 25 songs fast but if they decide to audition me then I'm sure I will figure it out. And the experience is a main part of it, I'll be in this area for a while anyway with college so it won't hurt me at all to do it.:thumbsup:

carsbybigd likes this.
  6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd expect the audition to be about 3 songs.
    No way a prospective band should waste everyone's time having them learn that much material knowing full well that only one person is going to actually get the job in the end.

7. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    QFT, for my last audition I got sent a list of ten songs, they asked me to prepare 3. I learnt 5, and that was more than enough

Zodion likes this.
  8. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

Apr 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Definitely go for it. Especially since it wont conflict with other projects. I had a similar situation a few years back in my mid 20s. In my case the genre switch was a lot more drastic then metal to rock lol still till this day that band gave me some of the biggest shows ive evere played and most pro level gigs ive had. This little musical adventure sometimes only has a small window for a few of us. Take advantage of good opportunities when they come if they feel right.

kwaping and Zodion like this.
  9. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Sounds like you already made up your mind. I see no negatives in it.. I'm actually pretty jealous.

bungletrpg and Zodion like this.
  10. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    I meant that if I joined, I'd have to learn their entire set list of 25 songs :roflmao: my bad man ;)

11. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    To me it's not really rock though. If you feel obliged, look up the rick short band.com and listen to a few of those tracks. ;) That is the band and some of their material

12. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I say do it, it will be a great experience and will diversify your playing

Zodion likes this.
  13. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I listened to it. Not bad for what it is. I could see how a lot of people would like it. I still say go for it, even if you're not totally into it. It'll be good to play something out of your norm and it will open up opportunities with other bands by putting your name as a bassist out there.

TheBear and kwaping like this.
  14. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Had a listen and it sounds like it'd be a great platform for some great bass work. Should be a lot of fun for you.

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'm not hearing any real down side, unless you really don't like what they do. I think it would be good to do, but if you're not into it, don't waste their time.

16. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    25 songs is not bad at all. I would expect to learn at least 50 for any gigging band. I'd go for it, almost every band I've ever been is has not been my favorite genre but I love music so much I would play I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world a hundred times in a row if someone was paying me.

Ianhin and BazzTard like this.
  17. Do it Brother. I play in three original bands, all different age groups and all different genres. None play a ton, but all get good paying gigs on occasion, and all have really good players. I'm 54 and have a good deal of musical experience, and it's still special for me to play with great players in all styles of music and get paid well for it too! Expand your horizons whenever possible.

Ianhin likes this.
  18. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    I would jump on an opportunity like that in a red hot minute. It's hard to find a group that just wants to play and doesn't have to try to "make it". I don't want to tour or travel or devote my life to a band, but I really want to play with one - seems like an oxymoron sometimes.

Ianhin likes this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Do it. Don't pass up work.

birminghambass and Spearsy like this.
  20. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I'd do it in a flash.