Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition Last Night and an unknown condition pops up

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by buzzbass, Nov 29, 2004.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Hey everyone, I had an audution last night and found out I have a huge problem, here's the story.

About 3 weeks ago I had really bad bout with my back, pinched nerve in between my shoulder blades. I had be in and out of the emergency room 3 times, becuse the spasms in my back and left (fretting) arm were so bad. I had been experiencing some tingling all the way down my left arm as this has been going on.

Here's the problem, I hadn't touched my bass in about a month :scowl: and when I picked it up last night I couldn't play. It seems I've lost all the grip strength and flexability in my left (fretting) hand. I got through the audition and it sounded ok, but it was a huge struggle to get it done. At thins point I can't play a major or minor scale properly/cleanly. My 3rd finger and pinky seem to be especially inflexible and week.

*** ?! I know the pinched nerve cuased this , as I was fine before. But what do I do to fix it. Despite my ineptitude last night, I may have actually gotten the gig and would need to be ready for my 1st 3-set gig by 12/18. Learning the song isn't the issue here, as I know most of them already. It's about getting the motor control back in my left hand- pronto.
    Any suggestions or similar experiences ? Please, let me know what you did.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    One word- Chiropractor!

3. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Been there, actaully the message therapist I've been using is helping more this time around. I can get the release in the affected area myself, by entire spine is very adjustable. Probably from all the years of weight lifting. Anyway, what about the tingling/numbness and loss of strength etc ? Anyone have any re-hab type exercises or anything they could suggest. My biggest fear is that I'm back to the beginning (like a 1st time player) and that my left hand has to re-learn how to play all over again. I want this gig dammit, but I'm not sure I can get myself into "game shape" strength wise in time.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    your spine seems to be out of adjustment

i would go and seek the most trustworthy chiropractor, helped me with similar problems!

:)

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Maybe an accupuncturist / accurpressurist may be able to help you out? Hopefully this isn't an RSI issue since the tingling comes all the way from the shoulder instead of from the wrist/forearm/elbow.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have been thinking about accupuncture, not trying to hijack, but i'm really interested in that....

7. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    But will a chiropractor be able to restore what was lost. The pain and all are fine now. It's the motor skills that suck. Could a pinch STILL be causing that. I feel like a goddam stroke victime here.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm so sorry. this is everone's nightmare here :(

i think a pinch could be still doing it...have you had an x-ray of your spine?

9. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, and other than the 2 herniated discs in my low back(which I've had for like 12 yrs), everything was normal. I'm awaiting insurance approval to get an MRI, but I doubt that will show anything. Is this a case of "once you've lost the nerve function, that's it." I believe I can re-teach my body to use new nerve pathways, but starting from square one again will suck. At any rate, I won't give up. Just trying find out if I have to go the "hard way" or if there's an easy fix out there. It was really depressing driving home last night.

10. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    maybe u should try adjusting the thread title. i wasn't expecting this at all. maybe more people will respond then. i'm sure somebody's had that sort of a problem. good luck man.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i recommend this too. we need more threads like this and many posts and views - not all of us are lil kids who seem to be immortal! :D

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Good idea, thanks. How do I do it ?

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    contact the appropriate mod, they will appreciate this as well

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As a guy with three herniated discs, I'll tell you that I'll take an accupuncturist over a chiropractor any day of the week. Accupunture has been around for centuries, it is less invasive or painful than a chiropractor and it's cheaper. Plus with Chiropractors you'll have to attend more sessions than an accupuncturist to get the same affect. Plus, I've heard of people that got more messed up by bad Chiropractors.

When I lived in Chicago, I had this great accupuncturist that would work for $15 a visit, no appointment necessary, and open on Sundays. The didn't speak a lick of English, but since I could speak some Korean it worked out well.

If you really into the alternative medicine thing, herbal rememdies in conjunction with accupuncture works well.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    and this is why we need more threads like this! thanks, Jive! as always, you're a great help.

my soon to be fiancee has asthma and she wants to try it as well.... i need to find someone in town

alternative med are also a path i need to try....anything is better than my primary doc who hasn't done squat!

16. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Wow, I have asthma too. I'm a mess :p . Anyway, I've found that the more I exercise, the better the asthma is. That , and have her get a perscription for Advair. It really works well.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    i second the acupuncture recommendation from jive. chiropractors are witch doctors. my wife goes to acupuncture for severe migraines. sometimes they give me a treatment for free, and i always feel like a new man when i walk out...my wife feels great as well.

-Mike

18. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but does this mean you havent asked her as of yet? If so, then good luck, hope it goes as planned.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey! thanks, vegaas!!

she already knows, i'm just waiting for the ring to come in (either a ring or a new iAmp800 for me :D ) i'm going to get down on my knees on x-mas eve morning to tell her she's going to have to marry me, or she can't have any of my benefits. :D

thanks again, dude

20. There are traditional doctors trained to deal with this sort of thing; pinched nerves and spinal injuries and the like. Neurosurgeons see a notoriously high number of people for whom chiropractic care was not working.

If this problem is persisting, I would recommend considering scheduling an appointment with a neurosurgeon.