Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Mar 27, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A bassist audition is coming up for a very decent opportunity.
    It's been a while for me to audition, plus I never had a place like TB where I could get so much expertise, so I'll ask -

When you are getting ready for an audition where you aren't given anything to learn beforehand, i.e., a cold audition, do you play your flash stuff, or just some solid, basic stuff that you know is in the style of the the band holding the auditions? In other words, when they say come and jam, do you show your chops or do you think it's better to lay back and just fit in?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Talk to them, if you can. If it's truly a cold jam, listen to what they're playing and pick your spots. Try not to stomp all over everyone else, feel them out.

This doesn't mean stick to root-5's though, be yourself and see if what you do blends with what they do.

3. Be Yourself, I don't know what kind of audition this is, but I had 3 in the past month.........The first one I got nervous and tried to be what they wanted.....I played excellant, but I have not heard from them in about a week, so I asume I am not getting a call-back, Not sure but I think it's safe to say....NEXT........I had 2 auditions, this Sunday, the first one unfortunately was not what I wanted, they invited me back, but I think I will be declining.......The second one I went to was great, but the reason was, that I was so pissed off about the 1st one being a waste of time, that I decided I was just going to go and have a blast.........I would play with this band today for fun and forget about it.......Well to make a long story short, I did have a blast and after about the 3 song I realized these guys rock, and I was fitting in perfect.....It was a 2 hour ride home, and by the time I got home I had a message on my Voice-mail, they want me to come back Thursday night, so they can make a decision......I have a great feeling about this one.......So bottom line be yourself, and HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ain't that the best feeling?

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Just had one of these... I lay back and play basically...

-robert

6. I think the goal should be trying to create some sort of chemistry.

If they throw a song at you, you need to think about what it's going to take to make that song sound good. If that means playing a bunch of sixteenth note runs, then that's what you should do. The reality is that probably isn't going to happen and you'll only have to play to the drummers kick drum. The bottom line is you need to play for the good of the song rather then looking for opportunities to show off. If you can make the songs sound good, chances are they will call you back.;)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Brad- That's exactly what it is, stone cold. One of the guys has a basement studio and it's just showing up. In the past, I've just sent an audition package and let the prospective band have a look and listen before ever showing up, (or not having to show up :( ).

They just added two women as backup singers. The old/present bassist is more singer than bassist, so I'm pretty sure they want someone who is definitely going to deliver above and beyond the relatively simple stuff he played, because his playing was subservient to his concentration on vocals. Then again, I don't want them to get turned off because they think I've got a bad case of "Shehantinitus."

Thanks to everyone for the good input to date!

8. Nope......

The best feeling was Thursday night at the callback....

I got the gig......:D