Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition song for Jazz camp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jun 29, 2004.

1. I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I decided to put it in misc. and let the mods decide where the best place for it is.

Anyway, I am going to a Summer Jazz camp on the 17th of July at Denver University, and I have to prepare an song for audition so they know what my skill level is and what group to place me in. I decided I would play "Spain" By Chick Corea, the melody of course, and I was wondering, is this is a good choice?

And are there any other songs you guys suggest I try out?

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Spain is a classic "fusion" number... and a cool tune ... but in my humble experience is it usually a safer bet to play something more simple (in terms of technique) like a standard tune out of the American songbook when applying for these schools. I don't know how much experience you have of playing jazz... but usually teachers at these kind of places want to hear if you have a good sense of swing and time in general... and if you're capable of improvinsg over changes.

So... my tip would probably to learn a tune with simpler changes and a slower tempo... just my 2 cents..

/lovebown

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sigh.
    You know, Chris Fitzgerald has answered similar questions a bunch. And, being an instructor at a college involved in student placement, he should know.

You are going to a jazz camp.
    You play bass.
    Play jazz bass.

At least you didn't say you were going to play TEEN TOWN. Or some Victor Wooten thing.

They are going to want to hear you walk four, play an improvised walking line over changes, play an improvised solo over changes, play in a variety of styles (2 beat, latin, etc), show some conceptual ability to play more open or contemporary (think Tom Harrell or Mark Turner), sight read written bass lines.

They are going to be a little less interested in what you worked up. I'd suggest something more from the standard repertoire -play the melody, play a chorus of walking bass on the changes, play a chorus of improvised melody and play the head out.