1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by instrumentalist, May 22, 2018.

1. Today I auditioned for a five piece rock band. Original music, quite good I thought. Gigging but not a lot. Could be fun. So I applied.

On the other hand: although I've played music for 40 years, and been on stage almost as long, the bass is still very new to me (less than six months). And I never played rock. So it seemed a long shot. I didn't feel confident about the audition.

Well I must have some talent: it went very well. They'd sent me five songs to prepare, and we played through each of them without derailments. They were impressed.

And I like them. They are serious, in a good way. And fun, also in a good way. I had a good time.

Now they want to find out how well working together goes. So they invited me for the next two rehearsals. Sounds like fun so I said yes.

Feeling more confident now!
    :bassist:

mmon77, equill, Wisebass and 86 others like this.
  2. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Sounds like it couldn't have gone better. Good news!

3. grimjim

grimjim

Jan 26, 2014
    Chicago, Illinois
    Endorsing artist;DNA Amplification, GHS strings
    Finally, a good audition story, congrats. Hope it works out for you.

4. Good stuff! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Hope everything goes well for the next rehearsals.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool. good for you. congrats! :thumbsup:

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    We had no doubt! I remember a keyword...

... preparation.

From the sounds of it, you did as well!

Of course, I quoted you... IMO, you achieve your goals and have fun along the way, no matter what you're aiming for...

Keep up the great work, and good luck, @instrumentalist!

pudgychef and instrumentalist like this.
  7. Yes, kept at it doggedly, in spite of not feeling confident. It paid off!

8. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted!

pcake, Deak, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  9. Awesome!!! Excellent news, you'll be fine now as long as you all get on in rehearsals. A band that is serious and fun at the same time is a nice place to be.

Hugs, I'm really thrilled for you :)

10. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    FIRE THE DRUMMER!

oops, too soon?

11. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Great! Good for you. I just recently auditioned for a new band. Ha, actually, I quit my metal band, hit Craigslist, and was auditioning 3 hours later for a reggae group. Haha, talk about some down time right? Never played reggae before, but it's all chord grooves. Simple enough. Dude's thought I killed it. I thought I was way off. Seeing as I haven't really consistanly played with my fingers in a good 8 years or so (been playing grindy hard rock with a pic). But, right on man! Good luck with your new group. Post a sample, and your band name

equill, HolmeBass, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  12. I think I'll wait until I actually become part of the band. It's still trial.
    Good on you for impressing the reggae group. Enjoy!

Spidey2112, pudgychef and G-Z like this.
  13. That's a TalkBass first, then?
    Do I get a trophy? :hyper:

Wisebass, Loring, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  14. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Congratulations! That is great. I hope we get some gig reports in the future..

instrumentalist and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. I'm not sure if I even have to audition for the project I just got invited into. I moved from Australia to NZ in January and was starting to wonder how I'd get to hook up with other muso's. Went to an acoustic jam on Sunday that turned out to be fully acoustic all playing around the table type thing but they were cool with me plugging in the little combo. After about three songs the host, who is a full time pro musician, turned to me and said "I've got a project you might be interested in...... let's talk tomorrow". Now I'm looking forward to the possibility of playing on an all originals album.

16. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Congrats. Just curious, what would be fun, in a bad way?

17. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Just curious, since you've been playing for 40 years I assume you're in your 50s or older. How old are the rest of your bandmates? There was a thread last week from a guy who was rejected by a band because he was so much younger than the rest of the group.

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(2).

I can only hope your real name translates to William Campbell, is some shape or form...

Loring and instrumentalist like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm going to say robbing a bank, Bonnie and Clyde style, wearing only a jock strap...

... the bad, of course, being the robbery.

BAG, Inky13 and instrumentalist like this.