Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition this Thurs! Suggestions for nailing it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have an audition this Thurs for a new cover band. All the other members have only rehearsed a few times. I already know 2/3 of songs on their list, so I am feeling pretty confident. Any suggestions on how not to screw it up?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Eat lots of corn flakes and drink plenty of prune juice. :eek:

Seriously, relax. You can do it. You'll be fine. :bassist:

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Thanks! I can do it!

4. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    • Be aware of any key changes ahead of time; there are always a few in cover bands
    • Keep the tunes fresh until Thursday
    • Go there to have some fun and gel musically and personally, but be yourself
    • Stress fundamentals, with an eye on the character of each song (go beyond root notes if the song does, but maintain a simple pocket if that's what the song does, too.). Try not to wank out on every song, that's for the lead guitar.
    • Pay attention to band's dynamics and how your tone is playing a part in it. Adjust if necessary. Stay tight with the drummer, too.
    • Keep a positive attitude and keep the confidence in your hands.
    I auditioned for and made it into a cover band yesterday as a matter of fact. These things worked for me, but as always, be prepared for surprises.

5. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    Show up on time.

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, I know from experience how important that is.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How well you relate to the others is at least as important as how well you play. Be a nice boy.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Play simple and don't over do it on any tunes.

:)

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well...it sounds like you are on your way knowing most of their songs...thats key. I also agree to learn them in a diffrent key....my last Audition i got to it and found out off the bat one of the 5 songs I was to know was a step up from the album...no problem since i knew it so well i adjusted and got the gig. Also be prepared to throw a song out to them...you are also auditioning them and might be asked throw one out. Be yourself and look confident. I like to share some background...where from etc and assure them about my job and schedule to find out if there is a conflict. Tell them what your plans are and how offen you can play out and practice. I am sure you will do fine....i auditioned for two bands last year after not being in a band for 20+ years...well i landed them both but only stayed in one...good luck.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I would ask for a song list of 5-6 songs that they want to play during the audition. I would then practice thoses songs until I played them perfectly. As others have said, don't embellish or play out of the pocket. Play it just like the album.

Personality is also a big part. Be friendly and courteous to these guys. Compliment their talents, but don't be obvious.

11. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    :rollno:

Got an email from the drummer. Seems the guitarist *forgot* to tell him that he had another bass player lined up for tomorrow night. So I am pushed off until next week at a yet undetermined date. :(

12. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Play yer G&L! ;)

13. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

You got that right!

The powerbass strings are just broken in, and I got just the right tone with my BDDI. It is smokin! :bassist:

14. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +6.02 x 10^23

IME you get eliminated if you can't play well enough, but you will never get chosen if you don't fit in well enough. I have been involved in literally hundreds of auditions (both as the auditioner and the auditionee). We would never choose someone who impressed us as being a jerk no matter how well he could play.

Oh yeah, and be on time.