Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition Tonight - which amp to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Unknown Keyboard amp w 1X15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hartke 5000 and SWR WM 2X10

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    :D I have an audition tonite :D :eek: First one in a long time! Here's my dilemma: the keyboard player has offered me a unknown keyboard amp w a 15' speaker (that is all I know).

I would rather bring my hartke 5000 with a 2x10, but am concerned that he might take affront to my dissing his amp by bringing my own. Also, the studio is in a basement, and space may be an issue. :confused:

What should I do?

2. Bring the Hartke but leave it in the car. Only bring your bass to the studio first. Check out the KB rig, it may be just fine.

3. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Bring yer own amp.

If this keyboard player gets offended by the fact that you want to use your own stuff, you don't wanna work with him/her. God knows what other little insecurities may pop up later on down the road.

Just smile and say, " thanx for the offer, but I want to sound my best tonight, so I brought something I'm familiar with."

4. Ditto.

Related story: The first time I auditioned with my current band, the KB player said I should play through the PA only, with a SansAmp. I agreed, and honestly was surprised at the tone and bottom, especially with the sub-woofer I didn't know about! In a small recording room, it made no sense to bring a stage amp. Our drummer also uses Roland synth drums through the PA for rehearsals, making balance a lot easier.

5. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Definitely agree. Check it out and if it works for you then fine...but if not you have your old faithful in the car. There's nothing worse than being miserable due to your sound (or lack of)...especially while auditioning.

Mikey/

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's my take too. If the KB player really is insecure, if you try his amp first and then decide against using it, he may be offended.

Always bring something you're familiar with. The less unknowns, the better. I have never had a problem with anyone over bringing my own gear.

7. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will bring my amp, and go in first with just my bass and see how it goes. I am leaning towards bringing my amp in, unless there is some overriding reason not to. :eek:

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    geeezzzz..... I like taking my full rig to an audition.... that way I can see if the band is ready to help carry my stuff or not! The first night I auditioned with the band I am in, they all helped carry it.... so I stayed in the band!

P@

:D

9. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well..went to the audition..everyone was cool...took my rig in...and blew them away!!:D They loved the tone of my bass! I got the job!!whoo hoo :D

Kinda feel silly about being worried about it at all :confused: :oops:

Thanks again for the advice. It definitely gave me confidence going in :cool:

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey, congrats..... glad everything worked out for you!

P@

11. Congrats and an early Merry Christmas, marleysghost!!

12. Congrats,good job.I've found the same thing with auditions,thinking about them is worse than the audition itself.Good luck with the new band.