1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audition

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by abngourmet, May 9, 2010.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    So, I answer a Craigslist ad for a bassist. Mostly classic rock. Band losing their bass player due to a career change ....

They ask that I meet them first, at a neutral location, to talk, get to know each other. I think this is a good idea, so we do. Things go OK, they ask me to come over to jam. I do so.

I go to XXXXs house. We end up in his garage, a one car garage. I bring a small but powerful combo. Both guitarists show up with 100W heads and 4X12 cabs. So much for keeping it quiet.

I set up my stuff.

We go through a few tunes, and even though I've angled the Walkabout up towards my head, I can't hear myself. Both guitarists are so loud that ... well, you get the idea. The drummer, while not heavy handed, is still loud. And he speeds up/slows down constantly, in addition to a wandering left/right foot.

The "rhythm" guitar player actually has better chops than the lead player. Lead singer is not bad, but not much better than average. Drummer does nice vocals on certain songs.

Most of what we play is stuff I've done before, with a few I haven't. It's clear to me that their chops aren't really all that great... what I'd consider average (or what most folks would consider average). At the end, they ask me what I think - I tell them I'd let them know.

And yes, I thought about it.

I email them, bowing out. They email me back, telling me that they feel the same. While I agree, I don't think it's for the same reasons. It was clear to me that they had:

1 - no sense of dynamics.
    2 - no sense of volume.
    3 - no sense of feel.
    4 - no sense of an even tempo.

Makes me wonder why I even bother sometimes.

Thoughts?

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    This is all so true. At your age (and I'm 10 years older) you've learned that trying to fix problems that you alude to can be frustrating and often times useless. Better to pass. :cool:

3. I agree with what Oren said. I wish I had known this a couple of years ago, but live and learn right? I'm in the process of looking for a band now but can't seem to find the right people.

4. That's the hard part, if it was easy to find the right people, you wouldn't end up talking yourself into trying to "fix" and "school" the wrong people.

Its usually a desperation move, and for me anyway, its always been a waste of time. If people wanted to be good, they'd have already been working at this stuff.

Randy

5. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Sounds like every classic rock band I have played in!

Seriously!

I think most guitar players are just not happy unless there is a stack of Marshalls behind them all cranked to 11! I auditioned for a band where I the drummer and guitar players wore ear plugs. If it is that loud why not turn it down?!

Drummers aren't happy unless they have more drums than Neil Peart! (At least Neil can play all his drums.) I auditioned for a blues band where the drummer had so many cymbals that I could not see him no matter where I stood.