1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Auditioned With New Backline 600....uh-oh...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluesbreaker5, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    So I've been using a Crate BH220 head and an Ampeg 15" Classic cab for practice and auditions with pretty good results. But the Crate started having problems so I purchased the Backline 600 yesterday after seeing quite a bit of love for it here.

I went to an audition tonight with the BL600 and the Ampeg cab along with my Fender p-bass. I dialed in fdeck's EQ and the result was very muddy with my Fender's tone rolled all the way down. So I adjusted all the BL600 tone knobs to 12 o'clock and still muddy. Had to turn my tone knob on my bass almost all the way up to get any definition and then the string "twang" could be heard. I know a 4x10 cab sounds better, but I was having no problems with the Crate amp.

I use a Hartke 4000 for gigs, but was hoping to use the BL600 as well.

Any suggestions? The music is classic rock/blues/Motown.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Flats?

3. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Good question......nope....I'm partial to the B-52 Boomers by ghs.

4. Where was the contour set? Mid highs?

5. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    Contour was all the way left....flat

6. Billminpa

Billminpa

May 19, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I recently switched to flats on my Fender MIM Jazz. I play similar music to you and use a BL600. I also use a 4x10 cabinet. I find that using the bridge PU with just a hint of the neck PU takes most of the boominess away in the low end. I also keep the bass control on the amp at about 1/2 and the mid high and treble at about 3/4. Mid low I keep at about 1/2. This gets a fair approximation of a Jamerson type sound. At least to my ears. This works well in most places, but if you are dealing with a cement room as some of the halls we play are, the bottom end just gets swallowed up.
    Not sure how helpful this is as a P bass is a different animal altogether.

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*