1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Auditioning for a country band this Sunday! (FIRST)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ZeroSymbolic, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Never thought this would happen, and the musical form is pretty foreign to me, but I think it could be fun so I'm going for it and going to just enjoy myself as much as possible.

Anything I should know up front lol? First audition!

:bassist:

2. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Well I would make sure I know the music.

3. I'm waiting for them to send me a set list.

In the meantime, looking at general lessons. Root-fifth and boogie woogie stuff.

I do like oldtime country particularly David Alan Coe, but the new stuff I'm no super familiar with.

I'm just going to check stuff out and play around with it.

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    While you're still waiting for the setlist, do you know roughly what sort of country they play? Old, new? Country is pretty regionalized still, so Michigan country might be pretty different from Texas or Nashville.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Yeah, root fifth is the basis of most of the classic stuff. How are your arpeggios? There's a lot of walking that takes place too, mostly your basic r-3-5-b7 stuff, but you can jazz it up a little with octave displacement. For fills you'll be looking at a lot of pentatonic, but the major scale and blues scale come into play as well. A certain someone will be along shortly to tell you only do root fifth and chromatic runs. There'll be some of that, but "only" isn't really accurate. Most gigging country bands do songs that span the last 60 years or so. Every decade has it's own sound, and different rules apply to each style.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    During the past 20+ Summers...I get called to play in a New Country parody band.
    At that time, I was coming from a R&B/Rock/Fusion vibe...my approach: What Jaco did with Joni.
    Something more recent would be Hot Apple Pie. That's the sort of New Country I was hearing...
    Anyway, I was constantly scolded (It's gotta be SIMPLE!)....yet they have called me back every year. That said, I have toned it down a lot.
    The hardest thing for me was playing Notes to their full value (like tieing 2 whole notes across a couple of bars...torture). Again, coming from R&B/Funk...I had a very staccato thing goin' on. I also hadda re-learn to play tasteful slides....and move my plucking hand away from the Bridge. ;)

FWIW, I have not played a Root-5 thing since...maybe when we reimagined "Play That Funky Music" into "Play That Country Music (White Boy)". That was about 15 years ago?

Anyway, the stuff we play is what I would call POP.
    Bass-wise? Elements of Rock/R&B & even Funk...but because we have a Pedal Steel, a fiddle (AKA Violin), & a Tele with a B-Bender...we're New Country.
    ;)

YMMV.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    have you been to their website? A lot of bands post their song lists right on the site. Also, have you tried to find them on youtube?

Good luck, it won't be easy to nail songs and a new style in a few days.

8. We play a few country songs in our set list and I do a lot of 1-3-5 or 1-3-5-6-8 walks. Older country stuff I'll do R-5, R-5-6-b7 stuff.

9. GOT THE SETLIST:

Lady Antebellum-Need You Now
    Jason Aldean-My Kinda Party
    Shooter Jennings-Fourth of July
    Guns N' Roses-Sweet Child of Mine

*=Two Songs that Slip my mind as I sit here at midnight, but I will remember them tommorow.

10. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    OK, so basically modern country, even including that song that Black Eyed Peas did at the Super Bowl, haha. Don't overdo the root-fifth stuff.

"Need You Now" has some prominent bass in the intro, so learn that note for note, and it also has a tricky structure you should memorize (and ask the band if they do it like the record) - every time the refrain comes around, the song goes to a different section. You can probably get away with playing rock-style bass on "Fourth Of July", don't remember the bassline but the guitars and vocals are definitely rock-sounding.

11. The other songs are

Sugarland-Gotta be Something More

Josh Thompson-Blame it on Waylon

So far I have "Need you now" and "My kinda Party" Down well enough to polish at audition.

12. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    zerosymbolic I sent you a pm

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Bass tone is really important in country music. Go for a warm, relatively old school sound that gives plenty of "cushion" under the singer and lead instruments. Generally the bass is pretty prominent in the mix so it needs to sound good. Fingerstyle predominates so if youre primarily a pick player that may be an adjustment.

You will also be way ahead of the game if you can provide backing vocals as well, but don't sacrifice your bass playing for it if thats not in your comfort zone.

Good luck!

14. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    I would suggest trying to match the tones on those songs, which it think you will find have very little in common with "warm" and "old school".

15. Hope it went well. I have played with a country and southern rock band for about 2 1/2 years now. Have learned more in that time than I ever thought I would. Country is not easy to do right.