1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Auditioning for touring gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kcamsdog1387, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    Hey guys. I have to say I got the call today and I am auditioning for a new band next week.
    Quick background: I'm in a band for over a year now (link in sig) and we're a reggae/rock 3 piece. Not my ideal music or the type I grew up on, but It's a great way to get my musicianship up and the guys have become like my brothers. My favorite music is punk/hardcore and I've been trying to get a good band like that going.
    So last week I see a CL add and It says "Established punk/hardcore band needs touring bassist, and possibly beyond." Come to find out it is this band from Boston called Disaster Strikes. So I reply to the add and get a response the following day saying their going to be auditioning people the next week but their looking for someone who can learn the songs quickly.
    The next day I tell my current band that there's a possibility I might be getting this gig and I'll be gone. My original band plays maybe one gig a month depending on what we can get. They both seem cool with it, but the tour is for mid June thru July, prime show season for our type of music.
    I get a call from the singer today and we had about a half hour conversation explaining to me the situation and talking influences and such. We set a date of next Tuesday for me to come audition and judging by the phone call, I think we're going to have some good chemistry.
    I'm really psyched about this opportunity to be in a band I not only have seen a ton of times but to actually be able to tour with. But my big question is what to do about finding a backup bass player to sub for me if the other band gets shows while I'm gone.

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Finding a sub shouldn't be that hard, depending on your town. I recommend finding a band that plays similar stuff, and find out if they'd lend out their bassist a couple of times. Then, you don't have to worry about being replaced when you get home from tour...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    in boston? surely you jest! with berklee, harvard, and bu at your disposal, the only way you couldn't find a sub is if you never left the house!

4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    If your band gets paid gigs, I am happy to offer my services :)

5. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

Jun 22, 2009
    Seacoast NH
    Yea as of right now, we don't have any gigs lined up. But I'm sure we will be getting at least one at McGanns in Boston.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Since you don't have any gigs lined up, seems like auditioning for another group won't be a big deal.

Good luck.