1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Auditioning for UCLA.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Soul Power, Jan 4, 2012.

1. So I'm going to be applying for UCLA soon as a transfer student, and I'd like to get some opinions as far as repertoire is concerned. The guidelines were essentially to just have some jazz standards prepared, and the thing is----I transcribed a few jazz things back in high school, and I'm only REALLY starting to take jazz seriously. I have about a month-----during which I'll be taking counterpoint, and musicianship three as well as beginning spanish and piano three....
    I honestly don't know if I will have enough to time to learn the standards by then considering how intense the last semester was.

I'm considering doing "Dance of the Infidels" by Bud Powell, and "Deception" off of birth of the Cool and "All of Me".
    In addition these, do you guys think it would be appropriate to play motown lines? I've got What's going on down, the Gladys Knight version of I Heard it through the grapevine, and Bernadette down. Those are probably my strongest songs that are not of James Brown.

2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    So we are not talking about the marching band