Auditioning Hell.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassman134, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Well after being out of the Cover Band thing for 3 or so years, I've decided to try and find some decent guys(or gals) who play well and don't want to do this as a second job...

So I had 2 auditions this past week,
    1st one a smelly run down rehursal studio in Fords NJ.

The claim: Guitar Player who is semi pro(weddings,lessons etc...) wants to get into a band with his brother sings and play guitar too... Singer brother has a drummer friend who also sings

The truth: While being pretty good guitarists, No one in the room, except for myself can sing(and I do it on a limited basis). A very LONG 3 hour audition.

Audition 2.. In the warehouse of Sani-seat(that toilet seats that automatically put out fresh plastic..)

The Claim: Guitar player and singer that have been playing together for a while want to reform band(they kicked out the prvious BP and Drummer due to song picking problems)

The truth:Singer this time can sing...very well too, I fact was really looking forward to playing behind him..Drummer adequate, guitar player.. Well ...while He is the one putting together this project, he states while we are talking about what songs to play for next week, he is the "Leader" of the band and he has final say on all music we are going to play..Me and the drummer said thanks but no thanks(there was a lot more to this but its too much to type)

Audition 3 is this week, from a local dummer and guitar player...

The Claim: Me and the guitar player..we are really tight, in fact we don't make mistakes" Yes folks a direct quote from the drummer..... We'll see friday night... Oh and he wanted to know if I knew Hard to handle and Tush....

The other comment I keep hearing... Good bass players are hard to find... I think its more like Good bass players have a hard time finding good

The Search continues..
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Those sani-seat things are cool
  3. Lure the guitar players from audition 1, singer from audition 2, and whichever drummer you liked better into your own new band.
  4. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I believe you may be onto something here... :)

Man... your story sounds like my search for more bands to play with. I'm down to just one band right now and I'm going through withdrawls. I've played with so many groups who claim to be this or that and when you actually show up and play... wow.

One group I auditioned for claimed, "yeah, we're a lot like Weather Report". I was excited. I asked what I should prepare for the audition, they informed me to not worry about it. OK, a sight reading gig, no sweat. I showed up for the audition. Yeah, no sheet music and they had no idea what they wanted to do. I started suggesting standards and Weather Report tunes. Yeah, they didn't know any of it. The guitarist suggested we "jam on La Bamba".

I lasted another 5 minutes before I ended the audition.
  5. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Good bass players may be hard to find- but modest singers don't exist!
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Its hard finding good musicians in my town too.

One call I answered was a total disaster. It was in down town Tarpon Springs, in the top room of an old bank. It had broken windows in the door, a floor that felt like it was ready to cave in and I wont even mention the security issues :rolleyes:

The guys break out their guitars and get thier rigs all set up, which looked like they havent done a gear upgrade since 1982. And say to me, ya ready to jam. Im like sure man, just tell me the changes so I can throw down a line for ya. The leader of the band looks at me and says "I dunno" Then frets out a few chords and says this one this one and this one. Im like oh you mean E A C and D. Hes like uh I guess so. (We go thru this before each song too.) So I lay down some Rex Brown type lines, I figure this is a safe bet since they said they are heavily influanced by Pantera. Any way when all is finally over and done, they tell me Im very bluesy and they're looking for a metal bassist. But will give me a call. Im like thats ok man you dont have to do that. You dont even know the changes to your own songs, you guys just arent the caliber of musicians that Im used to dealing with and Im just not interested. The Idiot calls me back 3 days later to tell me they decided to go with someone else and how I missed a huge opportunity by not knowing my ****. Me and my friend Al still laugh at that one to this day. My god did these guys suck.

Theres one more I did last week but its late, so I'll post that one tomorrow maybe.