Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auditioning Today

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rllefebv, Feb 18, 2003.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I tell ya, I've been out of my classic rock band for seven weeks and I am having severe gig withdrawls... I went looking for something different and tonight I'm gonna be auditioning with a country band. I'm pretty nervous! Never really played country before, and these guys have been together and gigging for some time... I know that I can cut it, I'm just wigging out a bit... Although I've been in several bands and have hundereds of gigs under my belt, this is the first time I've ever had to try out for a position. Any pointers??

-robert

2. Relax, show up on time, kick some butt.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Don't forget that it's your chance to find out whether you want to play with them as well as vice versa. If they help set you at ease, that's a really good sign - if they make you feel tense and on edge, then maybe you're better off 'failing' the audition :rolleyes:

Things like being on time, having your gear in good condition and recovering well when you do make a mistake will probably also count for a lot.

Wulf

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Thanks guys... wulf, the whole 'recovering well' thing is what I try to be about... I go into each gig/playing situation knowing I'll make mistakes... Kind of takes some of the stress away.

Remembering that I'm auditioning them... That's a thought to hang onto :) That, and kicking butt! :D

-robert

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, how was it? Did they pass? :cool:

Wulf

6. A belated good luck to you, Robert. I didn't see this thread 'till now. Did you use your Jackbass?:)

Mike

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    wulf... They seemed pretty down to earth and played well... We sat and talked for about a half hour while the drummer was getting his stuff squared away... pretty easy guys to just shoot the breeze with. When we started playing, things meshed almost immediately and about an hour into it, they offered me the gig :) They'll play this weekend with their interim guy, and I'll start with the gig on March 14th and 15th... Got some 'shedding to do... Eight sets in three weeks :eek:

Michael... while I was getting ready for last night, I played both my P-Bass and the Jackster... brought 'em both and played 'em both. The Epi just gets this big tone that worked really well for country. I pulled out my P for the last 1/2 hour or so, and of course it sounded great. I'm running Rotosound flats, (definitely won't be my next choice for flats!), which fell right in to the sound I was going for...

All in all, for a first audition, I think it went really well. Thanks for the positive vibes guys!! :cool:

-robert

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Great - I'm glad it worked out so well for you :)

Wulf