Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auditioning tonight for a new band - nervous

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by QORC, Apr 28, 2005.

1. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    My current band is breaking up and for more than a month now I've been searching for another band that fits my life. It hasn't been easy. I've put up ads, responded to ads. Most emails I got were from bands that played originals, were start-ups, or wanted to tour out of state - none of which I can do.

I finally found a band that reherses within 11 miles of me, is established, and plays 4-5 times a month out (I can do that).

Trying out with them tonight. Very nervous.

Biggest challenge if they want me is their sets - they have 80 songs now, and I only know SEVEN. A much more alternative, modern rock band than I'm in now. I will have my work cut out for me.

Anyway, just venting. I'm excited and nervous. Hope it goes well!

2. Nazman

Nazman

Mar 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Good Luck man..I hope all goes well..Just have fun and rock

3. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I know what you mean by being nervous. I haven't been in a band for about two years now and I'm trying out for a new band next weekend. They do origionals, its metal music, though I'm not sure what type of metal..... My chops are rusty but hopefully I can make do for now.

Once again though, good luck on getting the gig.

4. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    They'll more more concerned about personality and chemistry than with bass talent...I'm sure they are looking for some talent, but don't worry about knowing a bunch of their songs. If you are honest (about what you do and don't know) and easy-going, they'll pick up on you can-do attitude and assume you can learn the songs in time.

Don't look at it like a audition...look at it just like a jam. Don't play your bass...feel the music. All will be good. Good luck!

The Nanny

5. Good luck man! you know more then a few tber's will be here pulling for you!

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I normally find that it takes about three months of searching for an opportunity to come along and then at least two will pop up at once! Seriously - the last two times I've been casting my eyes around (2002 and 2004) have both followed that pattern!

One month is pretty good going... but good luck with the audition.

Wulf

7. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I'm in the same boat! Good luck man....just be yourself and be confident, and hopefully you'll get the job.

8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    thanks! I've been practicing the 7 songs I'm doing with them all afternoon and leaving in a while. I'll update tomorrow

9. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I did a lot of auditions in 2003 also, It got to a point where it was fun meeting these new groups of musicians every week Lol.

But yeah, what Nanny said. It sounds like you have the material down which is important. It's probably more important that you get along with them personally and vice versa. Remember your auditioning them too.

You can usually tell within the first 5 minutes if you want to commit to playing with a certain group based on how you get along.

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man, I just got this. Sorry to hear about Furious George. Anyway, hope last night's audition went well. Seems like you've got the chops and personality, so hopefully things will turn out for ya.

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    is the band any of us DC'ers might know?

Good luck

12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    yes, I'm bummed about Furious George. We were really starting to get somewhere and BANG, the main guy decides to move to Florida and another guy just wanted to quit, so that's that.

here's the update. Can my luck get any worse? Thursday morning (we were to play thursday night), their drummer (whose house they practice at) gets into a horrific car accident and will be out of commission at least 6 months (broken pelvis, broken leg, other things). So the rest of us showed up, no one there. m After an hour, we all left. Didn't find out what happened until friday.

So now the leader is trying to find a new drummer too. So all is not lost, but this is a setback. I guess I'll keep looking in the meantime.

*sigh*

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is "god's" way of telling you to keep looking.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Anyone seen the film "Audition"? Perhaps it is they that should be nervous.