Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auditioning via internet

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by full_bleed, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Buy it man. Show them you are a professional

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Complete optimal sound quality isn't going to get you the gig. Putting down the goods is.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm going to be pre auditioning via interent basically for this band that is in a different state. They are really good and I think they have the potential of being a national act. What we are doing is they are going to send me mp3's without bass and I'm going to record my own bass track onto it. I don't currently have a recording interface. It's still kind of a long shot for me to get the job but should I make the pro step and buy an interface that way I will be able to show them the best possible product that I can or should I just stick to recording direct in through a 1/4 to mini jack plug in?

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    In my opinion...

I would buy some decent recording hardware IF you can afford it. If you can't, just let them know your recording equipment is poor when you send the mp3 back. If you've got "it", the sound quality shouldn't matter too much in a "pre-audition".

Or if you don't want to invest in equipment, but still want pro sound, see if you can book a sound studio for an hour or so. Or maybe rent some equipment.

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    good suggestions thanks I'll consider them

4. I run a small studio from my house and I have recorded two musicians this year alone doing this type of audition; a singer and a drummer. Work your parts out in advance and book sometime at an inexpensive studio. Well worth the effort and the expense - you will sound professional. I don't know your skill level, but I'd think if you are ready that you could do a couple songs in an hour which shouldn't cost you too much - I'd charge $30 here in Phoenix.

Good luck!

5. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    where in phx cause I'm in Avondale

6. Small world, lol. Tempe here. Happy to do it for you too - drop me a PM and we can work out the details!