1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Auditioning with Bach Cello Suites

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Digitechwire, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I plan on auditioning for conservatories next year (I'm in 11th grade right now) and there are some that ask for two movements from the Bach Cello Suites (I forget which conservatories in particular), and I was considering for that requirement to prepare the Prelude to Suite no. 1 and the Bourees from Suite no. 3, along with some of the other pieces and excerpts I'll be preparing. My question is simply: for auditions, should these movements be played in cello pitch or is that up to my own comfort?

EDIT: I suppose the same question goes for the Vivaldi Cello Sonata in E minor, 1st and 2nd movement.

2. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    It's generally up to your discretion. Although, I'd confirm with your conservatory in question.

Personally, I find the first prelude to be easier at pitch; only because the open G is the cello's lowest G. When I was preparing my exams for the Royal Conservatory here; I played the Bouree just how it reads. I didn't play it at a cello's pitch.

3. Most schools would expect the first suite at pitch and the third suite in G major.

The third can be played at pitch, but almost nobody would expect you to do that. Generally, you should be choosing the range for yourself based on comfort and what you believe will best serve the music. All of your repertoire should be comfortable for you and show your best traits.

Also, you might consider looking at the Sarabande or Minuets from the first suite, as well. The Prelude is not the easiest movement, and is one of the harder movements to present convincingly.