1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Auditions - Best/funniest "non-reason" you didn't get the gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Wasn't sure if this goes here or in humor, but anyway...

I'm going to assume most of us have "failed" at least one audition in our playing careers. Interested to hear from TBers who didn't get the gig, were told it was because of reason A and then through whatever means found out it was ACTUALLY because of reason B. For example they tell you you weren't locking well with the drummer but then you later find out it was actually cause you didn't have a cool enough looking bass, or they don't like lefties, or whatever.

I'm sure there are some much better stories than the example out there and hopefully none too painful that you haven't gotten over and can laugh at now.

2. My story is my teen band broke up after a few gigs - it was more of a laugh than anything else, but we jammed, then practiced then gigged so we were together for a couple of years altogether, with 3 of us there the whole time. I thought I was OK.

I found an ad in the local paper for a group wanting a bassist, rang them up they said fine, come along. I reckon I was pretty honest about where I was, but may have exaggerated a bit. I borrowed my mates flight case to look pro, took a bus then a long walk to the other side of the city (this is Bristol, UK) for an audition. About a 2hour journey, although I would probably be able to borrow my mum's car in the future.

When I got there, the guitarist said 'bloody Dave, I told him we already had a bassist, what on earth was he doing, telling you to come along'. So no chance already. We started playing, waiting for the others, and it immediately became obvious we were in a different league; I mean they were clearly semi-professional, seasoned gig players, at least 10 years older then me. They all taught guitar etc. I got quite a bit of stage fright in the audition too and could actually hardly play a note.

I was incredibly embarrassed, and had no idea that actually I wasn't that good at that point and it became abundantly clear to all concerned that I wasn't immediately. Taught me a lot tho.

I know it wasn't the point of the thread, but thought I'd share.

3. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Once I auditioned for a band as a bassist & all was going well. Then they asked if I could sing. I said I could & they said "do it for us." I got canned because I had a better voice than the lead singer.

4. Once when I still played guitar and bass, the guitarist played a solo for a tune and was off in a couple places. I showed how it was really played and was not asked to come back.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I missed out on the gig with The Shadows of Knight because another candidate had a garage for them to practice in.

This was one of the reunion line-ups, and I was in my '30s.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good one. Ah yes, the dreaded question: "Can you sing, too?"

7. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Basically on topic, I "passed" the audition, but didn't take the job. At an audition years ago, we're running through the tunes, things are going well, good singer, decent gui****s, only trouble, drummer is really weak, can barely hear him, can't hear his kick drum AT ALL. After a tune, I mention that I can't hear his kick, could he play just a little louder,... his response,......"oh really,..??....well,... I just won't play it then..." and he actually did stop playing his kick for the rest of the audition. :eek::confused::meh: I don't think the rest of the band even noticed. :rollno:

8. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Back when I was a bad guitar player I lost out on a job in a Ukraninan wedding band (polkas and classic/pop rock) to another guitar player who was plain awful...the keyboard/accordian player had to tune his guitar for him every practice and gig and had to show him how to play EVERY song. When they started to play gigs the guitar player was only capable of strumming open chords to the polkas and the easy pop and rock songs, and the keyboard/accordian player would switch and play guitar for any song that required a lead.

A couple years later the bass player told me that they made a mistake going with the other guy when it was obvious that I was much better, but the reason they did was because the other guy owned a PA.

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Whoa, major red flag there! Classic PADS (passive-aggressive drummer syndrome). Run! Run far away.

10. gjsven

gjsven

Oct 6, 2007
    Canberra, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Cutting Edge Guitars
    What were they thinking?? EVERYONE knows backing vocalists are supposed to be better than the lead singer! :p

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    "The other guy lives closer."

12. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Lost out at a classic rock cover band because the guy had a rickenbacker, which looked cooler... :(

13. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    I once auditioned for this one band and it came down to me and this other bass player. They called me a few days later to tell me they were going with the other guy (nice of them) Then asked if I would play with them for the next bunch of gigs, the guy they chose was going to take a while to learn the materal. ***?
    I told them I was busy.

Andy

14. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I once was fired from a professional gig because the guy in charge had a buddy who just retired from his day job and was looking for something else to do. Turns out he played a lot of the same instruments I do, so I get the boot.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I got dupped into a pretty good country band once and the lead told me i was the guy after another bassist tryed out ( he had to many bands)
    I busted my butt learning 40 songs in 2 weeks for a gig .I did the gig and it went good not perfect but any mistakes were not noticeable and i am hard on myself.The singer and drummer said great job welcome aboard the lead said it was ok see ya at practice.
    I got a call a few hours before practice that the singers old bass playin buddy was bored and tired of not playing so they were bringing him onboard.

I was kinda amazed after all the "that a boys" the door was slammed in my face. I felt i was used to fill in for the gig. I did ask the lead why? He said when we were messing around once in a practice on Play that funky music (song) you had trouble picking it up and i knew your bass playing needed work :rolleyes:
    I then remembered what he was talking about .When him and i were working out songs he was messing with the songs riff saying we do this song sometimes :rollno: I said please say you dont in a country band :rollno:He said ya, so i messed it up and asked him to go on to the real setlist which thank god that song wasnt on. That song in a country band :spit: That song period :spit: Sorry for the rant needed to get it out.

16. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I auditioned for this band, they said that they were going to go with the drummer's friend from high school, they didn't mention that he was the original bass player from Anthrax, I got over it. I was happy to have the audition.

17. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    These are great stories!!

18. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Had an Audition with a rock-punk band way way back in the day (about 1997) and showed up with my equipment and a cup of coffee... and apparently they were Straightedge and I didn't even get to unload my equipment before they told me no .... all because of a cup of coffee lmao

19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Once got told over a pre-audition phone interview that I was too tall and would clash visually with the other band members.

Not sure if that was a brush off or an egotistic frontman I was on the line with.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1