Auditions: first they say NO to you, then they change their minds....what to do ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by doublestop, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Say you were auditioning and you did NOT get the gig because they found a better player. Then, that guy pulls out of the deal, and they come back to you: " please come and play with us"

What would you do? Go or refuse ?
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Unless the people in the band were jerks, I would take it. A gig's a gig, and even if it didn't become a permant thing it'd still be a good contact.
  3. toug

Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    It depends on the situation. If this is my job and I am auditioning to get paid, then I take it. There is absolutely no use in holding grudges in this case. I'd get the gig, blow their minds, and prove to them that they didn't find a better player. The way I see it, there are always going to be people better than me at certain things, but maintaining a professional attitude and respecting my fellow bassist is important.

Now if these people are my friends and I just want to play with them for fun, and I don't feel the guy they chose was better, I may feel a little sore. I would still play, but it would hurt a little.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Good advice above. I'd probably take the gig as long as the band weren't jerks. There is ALWAYS going to be a better player than you somewhere. There are sure as hell alot of players much better than I am. It's not a personal insult if someone chooses a better player over you. Look at it this way, you were the second best player they auditioned, and they liked you enough to want you to play with them.
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The other guy may not have been better than you, but the band may have liked his hair better or perhaps they drank the same beer and they felt that beer parties would be more harmonious with him than with you. Take advantage of every opportunity to play.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I see no reason other than foolish pride to not take a gig like that. Happened to me more than once, and I was happy to get to play with all the bands it happened with. I got turned down for Bumblefoot (who I'm playing with now) when I first auditioned. Took me about 6 years to get to play with the guy :) .
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Great replies so far - I have to agree that you shouldn't let pride get in the way of taking a gig you want.

Also, consider how you would act in their situation: if your #1 backed out and you called on the next best auditioned player, that'd be pretty logical.
  8. +1. Go for it. I've had times where I've been the "2nd" player in, and then after working with them for a little while, they liked my style better than the first guy. Life's like that, sometimes.;)
  9. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Take the "bull by the horns" and prove to them you should have been their first choice. You never have to say it, but if you work hard enough you'll know when they realize it. Take the gig and best of luck!
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I guess I would say "it depends." Are you just looking for a gig, or a long term project? Will you be passing up other opportunities to play with this band? Are you their temporary choice until something better comes along?

Alot of work goes in to joining a new group.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's not a big deal. Hey, at least you were #2, right?
    What's worse is being, more less or less, 'promised the gig' & then some young hotshot outta DC* shows up...& the rest is history. ;)

*Oteil Burbridge
  12. If you like the band and what they're doing musically, take the gig. You never know what really happened with the other guy. Maybe he was a jerk or jerked them around. This is a good oppotunity to be a hero, actually.