Auditions - I always rock them

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rojo412, Apr 29, 2002.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I just tried out for another band the other day. The guy who is in charge works with me and he's a lot older. He's getting his band back together and this guy is connected. He needed a bass player to join and had auditioned a bunch of people. He kept telling me how bad they were. So on a lark (or the fact that he kept asking me), I tried out.
    I didn't know what to expect, but I knew these guys had been around the block because they were old (er). We started with a song I had to learn from the tape he gave me and I nailed it. Then we did the rest of this tape. Then some more.

All these guys said I was awesome and they wanted me in the band, so I'm gonna give it a try. I never thought of myself as being very good and thought there were way more guys better than me, but I guess I'm good...BUT I'M NOT TOOTING MY OWN HORN!

Has this ever happened to anyone else here?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Does really messing up at a gig and have people come say, "wow that sounded so sweet" count? I had that happen once. Also, I was playing with this guy who said he was a teacher, and he just sat there and stared at me for like 15 minutes after I got done playing My Generation, lol.
  3. While since I've never really auditioned for a band, I'm just in one, I'm always getting complimented at gigs, but I think its more because I'm female than anything else. I think people get this idea that a girl bass player can't be as good as a guy, but I love proving them wrong. :D
  4. I know this may sound arrogant but, until recently, any audition I went to I felt I was auditioning the band more than the other way around. That's probably because every audition I ever did I was asked to join the band on the spot. In most cases I had to decide whether it was a worthy project and whether it would be worth my time and commitment, not the other way around. Like I said, this may sound arrogant!:p But I also said, "until recently."

About six months ago I answered an ad from a well established local band that was looking for a bass player. This is the type of band that, although you may not have heard them play, you probably heard their name at one time or another if you live in the local area and had an any interest in local musical talent. Most bands I had auditioned for prior to this one were either just getting going or not nearly as established. This was the first time I actually felt I was auditioning for the band even though I had done plenty of auditions prior.

They gave me one of their CDs and asked me to learn around six songs in a week and a half. The songs weren't terribly complicated so it wasn't really a problem. In fact I decided to go ahead and learn the whole CD figuring it would leave a better impression.

I went to the audition terribly nervous. I wasn't sure how well I would do under that kind of pressure. We ended up doing about eight songs at the audition and, other than a couple changes they had added after the CD, I nailed them all. They asked me questions about whether I could travel and what kind of commitment I could make and I let them know I would do whatever was expected. I drove away from the audition with a real euphoric feeling and I felt pretty confident I would be invited to join the band... I wasn't.

They called me a few days later to tell me they ended up going with another bass player who was a friend of a friend of the band. They were real concerned with chemistry as they had two bass players leave the band in the past two years. Since they knew this other guy indirectly, they felt more comfortable having him join the band. They really didn't go into whether he was a better bass player or not but, all things considered, they decided he was the better choice.

I was obviously real disappointed but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. After the audition I suddenly became much more focused and I've been working a lot harder to become the best bass player I can. I've also learned to be a bit more humble... there are a lot of great bass players, better than me, that are out there. The audition really taught me not to take anything for granted.

On a side note, I just learned the band, after running into some issues recording their new CD, decided to break up. I almost feel like calling them up and saying, "Well! It looks like you didn't make the right choice after all."... Almost. ;)
  5. At a jazz band audition, I started improving a little, and sightread one piece, but messed up a lot.

One person told me I was already better than the other bassist (graduating senior)

I thoght he was joking.

It recently hit me that he was serious. :)
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think when you get called for an audition, you should be checking out the other players also. A band is a comitement and you are going to be spending a lot of time with these people. The band is going to be part of your reputation. I've learned that "There's always another band down the road", espcially when your a bass player and it's easy to walk into lots of playing situations. Don't join a band if you think the musicians suck, or you don't like them personality wise.
  7. Went to an audition today, and it was sorta weird... Most of the people in the bands I have played in have been friends, so I got kind of a weird vibe when I went to audition with these people. First time I went to play with a band where the band members rarely talk to each other... ...or maybe they just wanted it to be "all business" while I was there? Don't really know.

Played great (except for two songs, where they had changed the song from the cd they had given me and forgot to tell me). But I felt like I got no feedback from them at all. After we went through six or seven songs, one of them had to go, so they just told me they would call me later. I got no response from them after we would play the songs, although I felt I clicked with the drummer and the groove was solid.

I guess after you have played in certain bands, you come to expect other experiences to be similar, but I guess it will be pretty different. But the one thing that concerns me, is that I don't want to play in a band where the musicians don't enjoy themselves. It was hard to tell if they were acting this way because that's how they like to audition people, or if the band normally behaves like this - barely talking at all, not really letting me know if what they heard was ok or not, if they wanted something different, etc...
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Funny... of the 8 or so bands I've been in, I've only auditioned for about two. Most of them I've kind of fallen into, was invited, or actually co-founded.

Except when I made the 3rd jazz big band at U of Illinois (at a time when there were 7 big bands). I was pretty happy about that one, and I gotta say it was a GREAT band.

Though one audition I failed because they said I was "too good. We don't want no lead bass player, and we can tell by listening to you play that you won't be happy just laying it down." It was a rockabilly outfit with two guitars, and the bass was gonna need to be pretty simple. They told me they had even joked about wiring up a bass player's bass so that if he ever played anything higher than the 7th fret he'd get electrocuted... they were probably right about me, so I guess that was just as well.
  9. ..ROFL!!!!:D
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now wait a sec, would that be My Generation by Limp Bizkit, or My Generation by The Who? :confused:

I'm 19 and as soon as I saw that, I though 'Oh yea, My Generation by The Who is a cool song, must remember to check Entwistles basslines out', but the song was made 20 years before I was born! :eek:

I mean, shouden't I think the song that is more, my generation? ( pun intended ;) )
  11. I agree with Liquid Midnight. Too many times people invite me to join their band simply because they know I play bass. And too many of those times have I showed up to find out that the giutar player doesn't know what a G chord is and the drummer is playing on a table-top electric kit. On top of the fact that there are very few people in this world that I could spend that much time with.

I am not arrogant, but you gotta prove to me you have some idea of what's what if you want me to jam.
  12. You may *not* be all that "good", but believe it or not, coming in and nailing their songs from the tape is better than 90% of the bass players they would have auditioned. It still baffles me how people can NOT treat situations like that. Every situation i've been in (filling in for bands and whatnot), I get that same reaction when I go in and play all of their songs first take correctly, and suddenly they're all amazed and shocked that i'm playing their songs. I mean, wasn't that the point?

13. Eli,

Are those Rockabilly licks you're playing in your avatar there on the 15th fret? :)