Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auditions

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ghost_bass, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Hiya...I'm new here, but I need a burning question answered ASAP...

I've been playing electric bass for almost 3 years, and now that I'm due to graduate from college next year, the possibility of me gunning for a degree in music has opened up.

I also play the violin, but being self-taught and all, I doubt I've got much of a chance of being accepted into the violin program. :meh:

Recently, the upright bass has seriously caught my eye (and ear...oh my, it DEFINITELY caught my ear :eek: ) and while I'm not saying its an instrument for amateurs, I'm aware that one doesn't have to have studied it since age 10 to get good at it. I also think that studying it in a classical setting will be more consistent with my training as an electric bassist.

Anyway, to get into the college, you have to pass a theory exam and an audition. But what on earth do you play on bass that's worthy of an audition? The bassline of Pachelbel's Canon in D hardly seems to be a good piece for something as important as that...

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    "I'm aware that one doesn't have to have studied it since age 10 to get good at it. I also think that studying it in a classical setting will be more consistent with my training as an electric bassist." - Ghost Bass

Hhhhhmmmmm.....stand next to hornet's nest and begin to swing arms erratically.........

How about something simple such as Koussevitsky's Valse Miniature or perhaps a selection form Bach's Cello Suites?

3. Shlomobaruch

Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    A couple movements from a Vivaldi or Marcello sonata will usually fit the bill - depends on where you're wanting to go to school. But wait, you say you're graduating from college? And you want to go into a music program *now*? Wouldn't it be better to stick with your major and just take lessons for awhile?

4. Oh, i will definitely finish my college major 1st (my parents will kill me if I didn't) :D

but I do have to start thinking about getting into the music program now, since it will only be a year before I graduate (I hope :rolleyes: )

In case you're wondering, I'm a Computer Science student, and although I enjoy being able to solve problems and program computers and think like an engineer in general...it just doesn't get me up in the morning like music does ;) I'm sure most of you can relate with that.

Hmm...I must be honest...the only familiar name that you guys mentioned would be Bach. I have some hunting to do... :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you... :D