1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Audix D6 vs Heil Pr40 vs Shure B52A vs AKG D112

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jzbass6, Mar 12, 2010.

1. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

I'm looking to purchase a mic for my home studio primarily to record bass, mostly RnB, Funk and Smooth Jazz. So I'm looking for a mic that will allow me cover: slap, old school fat and round, Reggae etc. These 4 mic's are in my budget so I'm looking for some help making a choice. I have checked the forum threads and gleaned some info from them.
    Heil PR40?
    Audix D6?
    Shure Beta 52A?
    Akg D112?
    Thx

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    DON'T get the AKG 112. They make kickdrums all sound like a cardboard box. What they do to bass cabs isn't worth describing. Muffled clack, with some barf and thud thrown in would be as close as I can come.

I wouldn't recommend the D6 for bass cabs, either, though they're an excellent drum mic. I just didn't like the lack of detailed mids I got out of it when I tried. They don't sound awful for bass, they just don't sound all that great, either IMO.

I don't have personal experience with the Heil PR40, but I know others think highly of them. I have no experience at all with the 52A.

I've had extensive experience with the D6 and D112, though, and that experience tells me that D112s are a waste for anything besides metal kickdrums, and the D6 is a great mic for floor toms and kickdrums, but not much else.

Have you priced an EV RE20 or PL20, or Sennheiser MD421 (a great mic all-around in the studio) used? It would be well worth looking into.

3. PR40: the most balanced sounding. Slight thickness in the bottom.

D112: slightly hyped low end, slightly recessed midrange. Great kick drum mic, pretty good on a bass amp if you like to pretend you are Marcus Miller.

D6: comically hyped low end and huge presence peak with very little midrange. Instant 2000's metal kick drum sound. Kinda cool in it's sheer audacity. I use it on live death metal bass drums and nothing else. Kids in metal bands think it is the coolest mic ever.

Beta 52: kinda like a crappy version of the D6. I used to use it on live death metal bass drums and nothing else, before I had the D6 kicking around. Now I only break it out to use on double bass drum sets, through happenstance I ended up with two of the damn things.

Out of the stuff you have listed I'd get a PR40. If you are in to a mid shy smooth jazz kind of thing you might prefer the D112. I wouldn't use either of the others unless I was going for something pretty freakish.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    tried them all, agree right down the line with malamute. i own a pr 40 and it's by far my favorite of the 4.

5. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Thanks all for your advice, I was leaning toward the PR40 over the other 3 all along, I just wanted a little confirmation. I do have a 20 year old Sen MD421 with a broken clip (like most of them) but I was looking for something a little different. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used PR40, probably check out Evilbay.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    a 20 year old 421 is a really badass mic on bass, too. i'd be hanging onto that even if you do get the heil.

7. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    The 421 is a very good solution.
    One of the best all around mike out there. A "do it all" mike.
    Don't forget to put the Roll off to "M"

The B52 has a very heavy EQ ing curve to it. The big smile curve. Almost too much even for a kick:meh:

8. For real. You can get replacement clips for 20 or 30 bucks,

9. aBoMoFo

aBoMoFo

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Here is another vote for a 421. Important note with this mic is to always check the rolloff switch before usage. If you are recording bass tracks with it set to "S" (for speech) then say goodbye to a HUGE amount of your low end.

An RE20 is also a great mic but a little bit more bass centric for my tastes than a 421. The RE20 is a great bass cab mic but doesn't shine on anything else. Also costs a fair amount more.

Differing opinions respected of course.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020