aural enhancer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwilsonR, Aug 3, 2002.

1. i'm on the market for an amp upgrade, and the SWR 350x is looking like the most likely possibility. anyway, i played a 350 at Guitar Center, and it was good. however, i could figure out what, if anything, the aural enhancer actually did... anyone know?
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    It lowers the mids and raises the lows and treble on a pre-fabricated parametric figuration.

So the higher you go on aural enhancer, the more lows and treble you get, with a certain lesser amount of mids.
  3. well it turns out that i already had the mids scooped before i started messing with the aural enhancer...that explains why i didn't notice much change. thanks for your help.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i think bgavin (?) actually figured out what it did, something about a sawtooth filter or something like that. maybe he'll be along shortly.
  5. I never got a good answer from SWR. They did confirm the IOD aural enhancer is always in the circuit, even when turned all the way down. There is a very minimal interaction when all the way down, but it is present. So says SWR.

I seem to play with mine at the mid point position. I'll have to run it on the analyzer some time to see what it looks like.
  6. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Whatever it does,it helps.I keep it at 12 o'clock for cabs that have a good solid low end already,and may take it to 2 or 2:30 for a cab that could use some help on the low B notes.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i keep mine at the mid point as well. it almost seems like there should be a center detent there.

and i know SOMEONE found out exactly what this thing did...
  8. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I actually scoped the effect of one of these with a spectrum analyzer. Someday I'll do it again and print out the results for posting.

When it's out of the circuit I found the response to be flat. (Despite the assertions of SWR to the contrary)

When testing it with pink noise I found that the circuit was doing A LOT of work. Across a 20hz to 20khz spectrum it was hitting at least 15 ferquency points, generating a curve that looked like a mild saw tooth at the lower settings to a picket fence appearence at the extreme.
  9. BT,

Much obliged. A scope trace is worth a thousand words, for sure.

I find my IOD runs with everything at the High Noon setting, both AE and tone controls. No drive. Basically it's just a flat preamp right now.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    A HAH!!! i knew someone did it, just got mixed up on who! so - is "out of the circuit" at all the way to the left or in the middle?
  11. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    With my Grand Prix pre amp, flat is all the way counter clock-wise.