Aural Enhancers on Amps ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gerard Rizzardo, Sep 22, 2000.

1. I borrowed an SWR 350 to try out the effect of an aural enhancer has on your overall sound. I set the aural enhancer to about 2 o'clock, which I was told is it's usual optimum setting. The comments that quickly came from the other band members at rehearsal and from friends at gigs, was that it was really the first time that I was cutting through and could be heard distinctly and clearly, especially with the frettless and with slapping. I usually use a GK 400B which I still do love. Thus, I've got 3 main questions for some opinions : 1) Is it a type of frequency filter of some sort ie. what is it actually doing to the signal to achieve this cutting through & clarity effect ?? and 2) Are SWR & Eden the only amps that have them ?? 3) Do other's out there like it's effect and use, where it's seems an almost essential to have ??? Rizz
  2. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Greeting Gerard!

In regards to what it's doing to your signal, this is what SWR says...

To my knowledge (please people, correct me if I'm wrong) SWR and Eden are the only two amplifiers that have this feature built in. I certainly enjoy the feature and leave it on most of the time. I find it essential for getting a crisp slap tone. The effect, while still present, is much less noticable when using a finger style.

Hope this proves useful,
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's basically an Exciter (a so-called psycho-acoustic processor - translated from German).
    I use a BBE Sonic maximizer for exactly the same reasons, but IMO a rackmount processor like a BBE or SPL is much better than SWR's built-in effect.
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Now... That was cool.!!
    Im gonna get one of those SWR's Interstellar Overdrives, I saw that those have an Aural Enhancer too.
  5. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    I use both a BBE and an SWR. IMO, they provide a similar effect, but not exactly the same. Again, that's just my feeling on it. I'm sure if you were to examine the cirucuitry of both units they would prove to be nearly equal in their design.