Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auralex Gramma Pad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NeedMoreBass, Sep 23, 2003.

1. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've seen the Gramma Pad mentioned several times on this site, so yesterday I broke down bought one. One word, "AMAZING"!!!!!! If you don't have one, spend the $60 and get it now before you buy another piece of gear. Don't leave home without it!:bassist:

2. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Where's the best place to buy one of these? Do they carry them at Guitar Center or is there an online store with good prices and reasonable shipping charges?

3. I guess I should pipe in since I've been pushing everyone to try one of these amazing little devises. do a search on Gramma.

I got my first one for $50.00 through Sweetwater.
    I found the second one for $34.00 at a local music store. Somebody is sure gouging prices for $60.00. I would have paid that much anyway but I'm sure you can find one cheaper.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, Big String. Do you have a phone number or website for that local store? I can't find that kind of deal online.

Thanks, Tom.

5. weldon

weldon

Jan 3, 2003
    Denver, CO

6. http://www.musiclabinc.com/index.htm
    Lansing Illinois, ask for Nick or Neal.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does it take away the coupling with the floor?
    Or what does it do?
    What´s different from putting your amp on a milkcrate? (Im not being ironic. It´s a serious question)
    I dont like to put my cab on a milkcrate. Takes all the lows away. But when I put the cab on the floor it can become boomy.

8. jock, do a search on gramma there is a couple of threads that really tell the story. Decoupling is a good thing with modern equipment.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Bought mine at MF for 50. Tightens up the sound of my Bergantino cabs quite noticeably. A good thing.

10. I got mine at the local GC for $50 also. Seems to work as advertised, and it even has a handle built into the bottom. I'm guessing that it would be possible to build one for less than $50, but I'm not positive.

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hmmmm.......wondering how my Big Bertha would do sitting on one. :smug:

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Do you think one would be enough for a Mesa Powerhouse 1000 cab with a 400+ on top...?

13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You'll probably need 2.:bassist:

14. RockBob
    I'm not sure, but I think the real big cabs may not benefit as much as medium, small and combo type rigs. I think in a studio recording any enclosure would definitely benefit. My new Bergantino NV610 (sealed cab) sounded better without it for some reason. Also, it did not sit well at all on the Gramma because of the built in rear wheels. You most certainly have to have a flat bottom surface to be stable especially with a heavy tube amp on top, in which case you might want to use two as suggested previously. When I said "medium" I was referring to say a Berg 322, Eden 410xlt size cab, and big meaning tall like a SVT810 or my Berg610. The Gramma is well suited for medium cabs also. I believe it's the sealed cab that really doesn't need the decoupling because the low end extension is not a prominent as with the vast majority of ported cabs that are used so much these days. All I know is my two small Bergs HT/EX sound WAYYYYYY better on the Gramma.

Don't forget the original reason I bought one. My amp rig was being rattled pretty hard on top of my Berg HT322 so I bought a Gramma to isolate it from the TOP of the cab. It worked fabulously! So there are more than one way to use them. You can also use them for home recording, say your near field monitors or any device you don't want to be affected by outside vibrations and sonic weird things. :D

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Bought one, it was hard to arrange here in the true north, but I did get one!

Used originally beneath a 2x10/1x15 SWR Workingman's stack of cabs.

Now I use one 4x10 of the Goliath III variety. Definitely makes a difference.

16. How'd it sound with the workingman's cabs?

17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thanks, I had a feeling it was that way. Some times when I play on a platform stage, I need to boost the bass slightly so it projects to the back of the room. But, it is WAY loud in front of the amp. When I play on a cement or solid floor, the sond is even and clear throught the room.
    My cab is a P-1000 which has the 10s compartments sealed off. The 15L has been swapped out for a Kappa Pro 15.
    I don't feel like shelling out $100+ for a slight improvement rigt now.
    I may however make one if I could find the right density foam rails. Thanks, Bob

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Sounded good with the WM cabs, tamed the 15 really nicely!

Rockbobby, for your set up, you'd need to use two platforms, one wouldn't suffice...it's been done though!

19. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I used my Gramma Pad on its second gig last night and again could not believe the difference it makes. The stage I was on is typically pretty boomy, but with the Gramma my rig sounded big and focused. I was using a Walter Woods Ultra with one Berg HT112. Sounded HUGE!!!:bassist:

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I have finally taken Big String's advice and picked up a Gramma. My first chance to put it through it's paces was at a gig this past Saturday, and I used it with my two VL-210B's, powered by my rack rig (Navigator/PLX 3002, bridged mono). I was immediately impressed. I mean, from the first pluck! I had always felt that I wasn't getting all of the low end that I should out of the VL-210's, but when I tried them with the Gramma, I noticed not only tighter lows (wich I expected, based upon the reviews) but noticeably deeper lows (which I didn't expect). Well worth the investment, I would say.

On a related note, I was also looking for a solution to the dilemma presented by cabs with handle straps on the top. Neither my Walkabout nor my iAMP 800 will clear the handles on the tops of my Epi T-112, T-110UL, EA Wizzy, or Raezer's Edge Bass 10. I had been using a towel to protect the bottom of the head from the metal portion of the strap handle. But then I got an idea an picked up some Auralex MoPAD isolation pads. These were designed to be used with monitors, but place them on either side of the handle and they do a great job of not only protecting the head, but providing vibration isolation as well. And as an added bonus, if you place them "backwards" (the opposite of how they show them being used with monitors), they angle the front of the amp up, making it easier to see and make adjustments. I have been very happy with the MoPAD's for this use. They are quite affordable, too.

Later, Tom.