Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auralex GRAMMA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by r379, Oct 27, 2004.

1. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I did do a search on this and while I'll admit I didn't wade through everything I found on the subject, what I did find seemed only incidental mentions on the topic.

What experience do some of you TBers have with the Auralex GRAMMA? Is it something you use all the time? Is it something you use only on occasion? Under what circumstances is it used? Does anyone use it all the time and if not, why not? Do you recommend it? Thanks.

2. Do some more wading...
    They work great, I use one almost all the time on box stages or to get more focus out of my cabs. They don't work for every application nothing does. It's handy and has multiple uses see the post I just made today on this subject. Got to go to work... wade Brother wade.

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I almost always use one between the cab and head/rack. Very effective at reducing vibration and may tighten up the sound, too. Certainly reduces potentially damanging jarring of the amplification equipment. I also occasionally use one under a cab.

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I love auralex products. I use the gramma pad on boomy stages and *always* use the MoPads as an isolation between my cab and my rack. I use to have all sorts of rattling, vibration problems with my PLX when placed directly on top of my 2 GS 112's. What I do now though is place 2 MoPads on top of my top cabinet, under my rack case. No more vibration.

5. Are they steady enough to stack two cabs on , 1 x15 and 4 x 10 cab, i mean stacked on the one pad ??

6. Yeah, they are. I had an SWR 1x15 with an Acme Low B4, stacked, with a 60lb QSC power amp/BBE Bmax rack setup, and the whole thing was fine, no stability issues.

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I would use 2 Grammas to support more than a single cabinet.
    The Gramma is 15" x 23" - smaller than the bottom of most 4x10 cabs. Your cab may not fit level on one if it has rubber feet (mine does not).

The Gramma is suppose to handle up to 300lbs though they suggest on the package to use 2 for subwoofers or large bass rigs.

I use one between my cabs and my rack - keeps the Tubes in my preamp from vibrating.

petch likes this.
  8. The single Gramma is big enough to fit under the stack, it is made to fit under most standard cabs which tend to be 24" wide outside dimension, the rubber feet are about 21" apart so will sit on board fine. My question still remains would the cab stack shift or move while sitting on this Gramma pad .
    If it moves it would also move on two pads so im more concerned if there is any creep movement due to bass vibrations through pad etc.
    Anybody noticed any moving of cab on Auralex Gramma while playing loud ??

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ditto

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    I put a Gramma under my Markbass cabinet today, and was surprised that it somehow reduced the vibrations around the house.
    My neighbors will probably appreciate it more than I do.

petch likes this.
  11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It really is a good product, well worth the investment.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    petch likes this.
  13. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    Yeah, I'm glad I made the order, while I was loaded.
    I got the notification from Sweetwater that my order had shipped, and I was kinda like "Whaaatt!?".
    They had a year end sale on Auralex stuff.

edit/add:

Oh wait, there's two more days left on the sale.

14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I've owned one for several years and although it works very well, I actually prefer the Ampwedge with the cabinets I own. It's much easier to transport and gives me what I need as far as isolation from the floor. It's less expensive than the Gramma.

Screen shot 2016-01-06 at 6.22.25 PM.png Ric

petch and Guinness20 like this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    The Gramma was perfect for my application, it fits the top of the shelf I put my cabinet on perfectly:

IMG_20151010_183311980.jpg

hrodbert696 likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I got mine on sale as well. It was a floor model just out of the box. Even at full price, a good thing to have.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Are you... Buckethead????? :woot:

Also, is that a tubemeister head? What do you use it for and how do you like it? I have a deposit on a tubemeister 18 to use for bi-amping. Hoping I didn't make a stupid choice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    petch likes this.
  18. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I would not gig without one.

I had a gig at a church where for practice, I did not bring it. I had to keep turning down my volume and bass eq to fit in the mix. And even at that, it wasn't good. For the gig, I brought the pad. I could turn up both the volume and bass eq and I had a tighter, better sound.

petch likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    Yeah, when I play guitar I like to pretend I'm Buckethead.

I use the Tubemeister for bass & guitar. It does a pretty good Lemmy sound.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I took the Gramma out on the back porch today, and it was great. I was able to turn up much louder than normal before the window started rattling.
    It does sound better too.