Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auralex GRAMMA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevGroove, Aug 10, 2002.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Does anyone out there know about or use this product by Aurelex? GRAMMA="Gig & Recording Amplifier & Monitor Modulation Attenuator". The promo's claims that when you set your amp/cabinet on top of it, it cuts down room noise and makes your sound tighter and punchier, and increases low end to boot. Thinking of going after this, everybody's two cents are welcome! Oh yeh, and if anyone knows of any vendors in the GTA, Halton, or Hamilton readers, I'd appreciate feedback on that as well! :D

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the auralex works fine, if you're playing atop a riser with an empty space underneath, or hollow stage with a storage area underneath for example.

but for boomy rooms, it doesnt do much. you need to EQ for that.

3. I dunno... I just played my first gig last weekend using the Gramma platform in a boomy room and didn't have to do as much e.q.ing as I would have had to otherwise. I think, for $50, it's a great investment.

BTW I got mine at the local Guitar Center.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, I bought one, and use it on most gigs...seems to do what the makers say it will! A little pricey, but well worth it. Just wish there was a way to transport it without worrying about the foam getting ripped up...

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The thing to remember is: the Gramma won't automatically improve tone. It *might* improve tone, depending on the physics of the stage and the acoustics of the room. Sometimes you get better tone when the cab couples to the floor.

That said, I'm thinking of getting one simply because it's more compact than milk crates (but I haven't used those crates in years so I probably won't bother).

6. I think all of the comments are valid. EQ is a real helpful too. I personally don't have much EQ. Demeter VTBP01S (not much there) and my active Lakland is all I have. It suits me. The Gramma seemed to improve my overall sound. I don't think it changed or improved the "tone", but in a boomy room I think the Gramma helped quite a bite.