Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aussie ACME launch, did anyone go?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Bassmaniac, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Did any-one here go to the Australian ACME speakers launch? How was it, any opinions to report?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I didnt even know they were out here. When was it? Where was it?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    andy setup an aussie site a little while ago at the beginning of the summer. very nice...

www.acmebass.com.au

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    PeteBass was going. He promised a full report afterwards. There was a thread about their launch a few weeks ago or so. :cool:

5. ... the launch was to be Monday 18th this week at an invitation only venue in Sydney. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. I hope Petebass did....... Hey Pete!!!!!!

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hi guys, sorry I seem to have missed this thread......

Yeah I went. It was a good night. Well organised, good turnout, good musicians to demonstrate the gear. Good job Dave.

I must be honest and say that the Acme sound is not my cup of tea. However I can now understand why others like them. It is indeed a very FAT sound, very warm, probably too warm for me. The performers on the night had a very jazz/funk/fusion feel to them and it suited their styles nicely. The 5"midrange driver was very nice indeed and will prodably become a feature of the next cab I build.

Some constructive criticisms. Not enough low B notes were played on the night. Christian Young hit a couple, Jacki's bass was tuned to piccolo, and the other guy had a 4 string.

Dave made a big anouncement on the night - he is also going to import Alembic guitars, bassses, and pre-amps into Australia. The alembic launch will be in November and we should try and make it a TB get-together!

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Please be in Melbourne, please be in Melbourne, please be in Melbourne...

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    lol.... it's probably going to be at the same place as the last one. But never fear, as the official sydney TB correspondant, I shall give a blow by blow account of how it goes.

Have a look at the products HERE .

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx pete!

sounds like a fun night for all. did you remember seeing what kind of amps there were using? might have something to do with the "dark, warm" sounds.

and too bad there wasnt enough Low B action. but i guess all to shift the emphasis away from their Low B capability and show that the Acmes are a full range cab.

10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Hey Pete in your words can you discribe the acme sound ? I have read enough of your posts on sound as im sure you have read some of my banter and I beleive I understand your terminology (sp?) quite well. Thanks

11. Pete-

Glad to hear it was a good night. It's good to have options down there! I'll follow joker though and state that amplification and pre-amps have A LOT to do with what you'll hear through an Acme. I use a Peavey Max Bass pre-amp and a DPC 1400X power amp through a Low B-4. I was told to forget everything I thought I knew about EQ, set everything flat, then CUT frequencies to make adjustments. I overdrive the tube side slightly (eq flat) and combine it with the SS side (eq flat) and use the "shelving" knobs. I bump the high one slightly (2 o'clock) and cut the low one just about as much (10 o'clock). I then use the graphic EQ to make room compensations. The only thing I've ever had to do was CUT some @ 40hz (it was too loud!).

So joker-

Where's your report on the Low B-4 w/DPC???

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey guy,

well, andy shipped it out last wednesday, so i should be hearing from the UPS pickup counter in the next few days. CANT HARDLY WAIT!!!

hopefully, they'll come in time for my funk rock gig next tuesday. :cool:

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Christian used a custom made bass by a local luthier named Jeff Mallia. He ran it thruugh an FX1 preamp, QSC plx amp, then into the B2.

Jacki played an old Ibanez bass with piccilo tuning through an ancient Roland tube head of some sort, then to a couple of B1's that were up on PA style stands. I found out later that David had hired a PLX as a backup in case the Roland couldn't push the acme's hard enough. They didn't need it. It wasn't a loud gig so the Roland did the job.

Jacki's other bass player had a Fender Precision through an old Fender all tube head, then through a B4. He apparently turned the horn off because he prefered it that way.

At least someone on here can understand me :)

I guess the best way to describe the sound is to compare it to brands I've used. I reckon I could get my Eden cabs to sound something like an ACME by cutting everything from 100Hz to 300Hz by about 9 or 12db, boost everything below that by about 6db. I really liked the midrange driver. That area from around 500Hz to 4k can be tricky, often sounding unmusical when you try to add it in. But by having it there in abundance and cutting rather than boosting (as guy suggested), it seems to sounds better.

14. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Pete, I'm glad you had a good time. Sorry about the lack of low B's - I tried to cover as many bases as possible with a 6-string, P-bass and piccolo. Next time...

Just to clarify a couple of points:
    * The Acme's use a 5" cone mid range and a shallow horn dome tweeter.
    * At the launch Dave Symes (P-Bass) had the mid and tweeter backed off approx 3 dB each because he prefers a "swampy" sound. He was playing through an all valve Fender Bassman 135 that I bought new in the early 80's. (Dave loved it, but its a bit muddy for my taste.)

The Alembic launch looks set for early November. (Played via Acme, of course.) Drop me a line (david@greensquare.net) or leave your details on the web site (www.greensquare.net) and I'll make sure you're invited. I'll post more details later.

I'm hoping to be able to do launches in Melbourne and Brisbane - probably mid to late next year after Alembic and a few more agencies are bedded down. I'd like to hire local musicians for those shows - so email me with any suggestions. In the meantime, if you live outside of Sydney you can take advantage of the two week trial period for Acme.

15. Hey Dave,
    ever sold any acme cabs out west?
    would love to hear one!

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Personally, I like the sound of a 4 string through my Low B. Although it can handle a Low B better than 99% of bass cabs, an Acme isn't quite deep enough to handle the low B fully. It starts noticably cutting out on the D below E, although not nearly to the extend of your standard 4x10.

17. Something's not right there. Any chance that you're running out of power / headroom? The only other thing that I can think of is that the cabinet might not have been broken in yet.

18. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Sandy,

Sorry to say we haven't shipped any Acmes out west yet. Its just a matter of time.

So far we have users in Sydney and Melbourne. Touring artists that use Acme that might make it to Perth are Dave Symes (with Prop, Tina Harrod or Jackie Orszazcky) and Ryan Monro (with The Cat Empire - although they are mainly playing big venues these days, so Ryan is using his Acmes for backline and uses a mixture of mic on the Acmes and direct into the FOH system).

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Well, Acmes do have about -6dB at 31Hz... Not bad at all, but a somewhat noticable loss. Such a difference could easilly be EQ'ed though... I just bring it up because personally, I think the Acmes handle the E better than the B. The sound I get from my E is absolutely perfect... the B is awesome, but not quite perfect.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    which begs the question,

under what circumstances were you able to hear your "perfect" low B to be able to judge the Acme cab?