Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aussie Essex Owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I have been looking for a cheap bass for a while, one I can mess around with and coax a nice P-Bass sound out of- to compliment my Fender American Jazz Bass. I was just wondering if these Essex Basses I keep hearing about are worth the few hundred bux they cost? I also have some other questions about them (the megathread would take hours to search through :p - and it seems I cant find a manufactures website.

Question 1:
    What's their tone like? I'm not too fussed about the pickups- as I will probably replace them if I have to- Does the body hold sustain well etc...

Question 2:
    What are the necks like on their P-Bass models? I dont like P-Bass necks as they are too wide for my messed up fretting hand. After thinner jazz neck, again willing to replace with cheap jazz neck... if the body is good. Do these fit standard Fender necks?

Question 3:
    Best place to get them, preferably online? Some have mentioned ones- at MelMusic in particular are lacking the quality spoke of in the megathread. Any coments?

Pictures of your Essex etc... would be good along with any coments about quality...

Thanx
    -Cul
    *GAS AGAIN*

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    PJ SX that I purchased for $200 very slightly shop soiled here near Newcastle. I may not be the best person to comment on basses since it is my first (a gutarist for 35 years)but I love it and am vey impressed with the quality.
    I had to file down the nut grooves a fair bit but that is pretty standard for anything now.
    The bridge J pickup was microphonic and I replaced it but I am happy with th P pickup and am leaving it
    Otherwise quality is fine.
    The manufacturer is team international in china (taiwan?) but f you want to look at the range the US distributor www.rondomusic.com has good pictures.
    They seem to be pretty common in music shops around here.
    Jeff