Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aussie Musicians fight back!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Sep 26, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    In my wanderings i came across a humble Australian company that imports and sells PA's, mixers, guitars & basses ect from the states. ProAudio is the name of the company, I really admire them, and this is why (quoted from their web site):

Many years of importing, evaluating, testing, selling and using goods ourselves has taught us one thing - you can't always get the quality you would expect at the prices you would like to pay. Such things as a weak Aussie dollar, too many margins, overseas freight costs and import duties often add up to customers paying much more than the goods are really worth. We at Pro Audio pride ourselves in offering our customers REAL value, not just big names with big price tags. To this end, many years ago we set about developing the Pro Audio brand name and this has since developed into a considerable range of great products offering top value for money. Generally speaking, there are two types of Pro Audio branded products:

1.Those we have specially manufactured to meet our specifications and expectations, which then address a certain value gap in the marketplace.

2. Products that are generically manufactured for brand-name companies where we can access an identical or like product at a better price but with either no name, or an "unknown'' name applied. We then apply the Pro Audio name to these products in actuality, or by association.

I am by no means endorsing this company, Im just glad that finally there are a few decent Australian manufacturers getting a name for themselves (Maton, LabSystems). Theres guys even make their own strings :eek:

So c'mon Australian people, get behind your country, and buy Australian :D

ProAudio is based in Canberra, but has anyone played through their gear?

Anyway i just thought id let you all know about these guys ;)

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Kirbs. These guys have a website anywhere?

3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    It's alright. I found it :D. I ordered their catalogue - looks interesting.

4. Here's a link to pro audio's website. ( Their free catalogue is a nice big glossy one but it needs updating.) http://www.proaudio.com.au/index.html
    I bought a Yamaha powered mixer off them last year and they had by far the best price I could find Australia wide on this item. They subsidise the freight costs too I believe, which helps.

5. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I've had there catalogue for a while and I must say their bass gear caught my eye. They have a Pro-Audio rack mount head 400watts for $999 AU.
    Has anyone tried these - even if they are half decent - that is a bargain compared to say over the page of the catalogue - a comparable head a SWR Bass 350 for $2050 AU. The pro audio quad box is $895AU rated 600watt(no horn - maybe they make them with horn now?).

I have always been a little disapointed with Labsystems that their prices are no better than the American imported gear - if I am wrong someone please correct me :confused:

If any one has tried any of Pro Audio's generic bass gear - let us know!

6. This may be of interest to Sydney bass players looking for a good deal on quality bass gear.
    There's a little shop at Sutherland in Sydney's south called The Guitar Zone which is run by a professional bass player called Adam. He's got a lot of quality bass gear in stock ( Ampeg, Musicman, Yorkville, G&L, Godin etc.) and usually gives a great price. :) I bought a Canadian Godin four string bass off him recently which has an active pre-amp and Semour-Duncan P/J pick ups. It plays and sounds killer and I got it so cheap that I'm embarrassed to disclose the price. Anyway, here's a link the the shop's web site if anyone wants to check it out. http://www.guitarzone.com.au/home.php
    They have just put up a muso's forum on their site too but there's hardly anyone on it yet.

7. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Rockin' good stuff IMHO....

They have just brought out a new line of combo's with diff speaker configs, they came in last week or two...Tried the 400watt 2x12+tweet combo ( $1750 ish )...Had the legs on my pants flappin nicely....Was even better when I plugged a 4x10 in as well...Also doing the 250 watter with 2x10 + tweet for about $1300 I think (maybe a little more)

The 4x10 cab be ordered with a tweet for about an extra $100 if memory serves...But they may be making all of em like that now...

Heck of a nice bunch of guys too!!!! Bought my 1st Mesa Boogie off them about 17 years ago...

The amps themselves are made by Audio Assemblers in Melbourne...The same guys that make the Ebony amps...Pretty sure they're the same amp rebadged ( Blue instead of Red )....

I work just down the road from Pro Audio so if you need me to check anything out, let me know..

Just remembered...Talking to them about reliability...They have sold hundreds of these amps in the past 2-3 ( maybe more ) years and have only had 1 come back with a problem...Apparently someone plugged one directly into a 3 phase outlet ( not sure how you'd do that )...Other than that they have been flawless...( Do I sound like I work for Pro Audio??? I don't but if they were offering jobs, it'd be nice work if you can get it hehe )..

Dan

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually the pre-amp in the Ebony changed somewhere along the line. I'm not sure that the Pro.Audio ones recieved the same upgrade.

I own 2 Ebony Quake 400 amps, and I bought them 5 months apart. the first one sounded great, especially for the price. The second one arrived sounding much meatier in an AB test. that's when I found out about the pre-amp upgrade. Both of mine now have the slightly better pre-amp.

It's rated at 400w at 4 ohms. That's conservative. They're LOUD. And clean. Think GK but with a beefier bottom end. Plenty of tone shaping, great value...........

BTW, the new Pro Audio catalog is not far away.............

9. I bought my first bass from Pro Audio, because there was no where near to where i lived to get a decent range of basses from. So i mail ordered it from them them, very helpful and friendly on the phone.

Bassis

10. I had a look throught that catalogue last year on work experience at a music shop, looked like good gear and at a decent price

The guy who owns the shop reccomended them to....if only they were in shops round here when i went to buy an amp

11. Oh man i went to there website and those prices are amazing...when i get a rig i reckon i will go with Pro Audio for the cabs and maybe even the head

A 410 for $600 thats unheard of in australia

12. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Actually, there are a couple of other places where you can get cabs for that sort of money...

Venuemusic in sydney ( www.venuemusic.com.au ) are doing a 300watt 4 x 10 with horn for about $550 and a 600 watt version for about $100 more..Same Eminance speakers I think.....

Ashton have also bought out a 4x10 for about $550...Celestions in that one I think....Check www.allensmusic.com.au I think...

Am seriously thinking about going for that Pro Audio 2x12 combo tho. Played it a couple of weeks ago & really liked it...Waayy loud....Might go have another try after I get paid later in the week ( dangerous )...Would like a new rig for my gig on Friday night :)

13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    The Bass Centre in South Melbourne also stocks those Ashton amps. Very reasonably priced as I recall. Will see if I can get down there to check and post them here (I work a block away from the store :p)

14. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Hey Petebass, that is a pretty massive statement 'Think GK but with a beefier bottom end'. If that is true then I am definately going to look at these heads - hopefully they may look at building some higher rated heads as well. My SWR SM400 is getting old and at that price I can get an Ebony/Proaudio head and still keep the old one as a backup (impossible if I buy American!!)

I am still finding it hard to believe you can get a new pro qualiy bass head for $1000 AU!!

I know there is 'cheap' gear around but quality & reliability and tone are my main factors. Is the Ebony your main gigging amp. Do you know where you can buy Ebony gear?

Thanks

15. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    The Bassplayer in Sydney has Ebony Gear...

www.bassplayer.com.au

Not sure if there's anything closer to you...

16. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I walked into the Bass Player at Annandale with enough cash in my pocket for a GK 1001b. I'd been looking at them for a while and really liked the amp - $2,300.

Lincoln asked me to try the Ebony. No pressure, he just wanted to see what I thought. At first it I thought it was a new USA built amp and was expecting it to be similar in price to the GK. When I found out it was locally made and half the price, I nearly fell over. I asked for both amps to be set up into identical cabs and gave them a through A/B test, starting with both amps running everything flat. The ebony can only be run full range so to keep it fair, I ran the GKI full range as well. I got them sounding very similar by cutting the Bass knob (40Hz) and cutting some 75Hz with the EQ on the Ebony. So I bought it and used the remaining cash as a deposit on a Stingray 5.

Yep. The Ebony is my main gig amp. It replaced a Labsystems 400B which I owned for 10+ years. I would have got another Labby but as pointed out earlier, they're as expensive as overseas models now, and they don't have a lot of tone shaping. I used to have to carry around a rack-mount EQ.

A few months later I found myself touring with the orginal band and needing more volume on stage. I had enough speaker cabs but needed another amp to power them. The choice was obvious, a second Ebony Quake 400. I didn't bother trying it out because I'd been gigging with one and knew it was good. Surprise surprise, the new one sounds better than the old one, and much louder. The new one was loaded into a rack I built that has cooling fans, and I remember starting a thread on TB asking if the fans could be responsible for the extra volume and beefier tone. I felt a bit silly when it was revealed that the pre-amp has been upgraded. I organised for my older Ebony to get the newer pre-amp so they now sound the same.

18. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Thanks Pete,

I am definately going to try these amps out - (just have to find a distributor in Queensland) - I went to Bass Player website and they have the ebonys listed at $1300 - I am amsuming they will do better for cash -
    The EQ is footswitchable - I'm sold!!

19. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    :p :p :p :D
    funny!!
    Who needs eq?? Just have a variable speed fan!!

20. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I'm going down to Pro Audio Shortly to pick up my new 400 watt 2x12 combo.....

Taking it to the local Jam nite tonight & a gig on the weekend so I'll post a report once I've used it in anger hehehehehehee

Can't wait!!!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: