Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aussie Power Supplies...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Jan 24, 2006.

1. What do you fellow australians use to power your board. I was thinking of buying a Dunlop brick, but im thinking they will have the US plug on them (to the wall). And the voodoo labs i imagine would be the same. I'm considering the pedal pad, as i noticed it has a plug thats the same as what is on the back a bass head, so i could use one of my spare chords to plug it in... would this work?

I need help....

2. The type of power connector is the least of your worries. The biggest concern is getting one that suits the Australian mains power specifications (240V 10A).

The Dunlop can be used in Oz without modification because the unit itself requires a wall wart power supply specified at 18VDC 1000mA output. You can order international power supplies from Dunlop, but if you can manage to buy it locally it should have the right supply with it.

The Pedal Power 2 Plus is in my opinion a far superior product to the Dunlop Brick in many ways. Not least of which is that it is mains powered, so you can do away with wall warts entirely. Even more importantly, the outputs are all isolated from each other which is a huge advantage. The only downside (if you could call it that) is that you have to buy the specific model that will suit your countries mains power - so when purchasing make sure it's marked somewhere "240V" and it should come with an Aussie IEC mains lead (jug plug, kettle cord, whatever you wanna call it!)

The pedal pad thing is difficult to answer without knowing the specs of the power connector on the back of your amp head. My gut feeling given the specs on the pedal pad website is that it should be ok - but don't take my word for it, check it out first!

Code:
    Pedal Pad website:
    Input Voltage: Universal 90 to 264 VAC 
    Input Frequency: 47 to 63 Hz
    The Aussie mains spec falls inside this range, so does the US mains spec, so this is a pretty good indication that it should work with your amp head, but you would also need to consider how much wattage the amp head can supply from that outlet compared to how much the pedal pad requires when being fully utilised.

3. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    The OneSpot is cheap and it claims to work in Europe, USA, and Austrailia. (100-240v)

4. ...but it will require and adapter plug to allow it to mate with sockets other than those found in the US.

5. thanks guys..
    My main problem is im planning to buy through ebay. The DC brick through a shop is about $350-$400!!!!!!! :eek:
    thats way too much for power IMO... im gonna have to do some hunting i think...

6. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
  7. Fuzzhead... i thank you, and you too larry :smug:

I alwasy thought the godlyke only powered 5 effects as i'd never seen it say you could order more. Im going to need to power about 10 pedals :D

Is there ever any problems with these?... Any added noise?

8. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    I was wondering if the tone factor power supplie would have any problems running Behringer pedals, i thought they were a different MaH rating

9. The behringer pedals runs with 30mA so, in theory, you could run approx 57 pedals with the godlyke power supply:p

10. Tomass, provided the mA rating of the power supply exceed the mA requirements of your pedals you're fine. (mAh is to do with batteries and is a totally different animal.)

chips, for $350-400 you could have some electronics savvy person (perhaps from your local tech college) make you an australianised version of The Spyder. This is IMO the best power supply out there, and with a custom wound transformer (around $80-100 from Harbuchs) and a purpose built circuit board it would also be quite compact.

11. The Spyder would be a good idea. But i dont really know any electrically talented people. And I really dont want to spend that much on a power source. But i'm probably going to anyway. Its looking like Dunlop vs. Pedal Pad or whatever its called. and depending on the next couple of weeks when i plan on finishing my board... i might need 2!! :eek:

12. IIRC, the Godlyke comes with a 5-connector daisy chain cable, but additional daisy chains to extend the original chain can be bought rather cheaply just about anywhere. If you attached one to each of the 5 connectors, you could have 25 possible hookups (though there might be some space limitations). It would be a simple matter of computing the total amperage draw. Have you looked at this page?

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/list.htm

It gives the amperage draws for a number of pedals. It might be of some use to you in determining if something like a Godlyke (1.7A) can handle your needs.

13. Thanks.

That ebay link that larrytron posted has the powerall, free aussie adapter, and you can buy more daisy chains for $9.95 each. So i think im going to get the Godlyke with an extra daisy chain, or maybe 2 incase for future pedal improvements. Thanks again for your help

Peace
    Blake

14. Changed my mind again... I think the problem with a powerall is the space between pedals for the daisy chain.

What would be the best way to check the Pedal Pad specs? Email the company or what? Cheers

15. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I use my TU-2 with a daisy chain to power all mine and I only use 4 out of the 8 possible. I have the plastic covers that came on the conectors still on the ones I don't use. As for space issues, this solves it, one of the unused connectors is between my TU-2 and NS-2. If you get the Godlyke, connect everything leaving unused conectors if need be. If the site says you can use 25 effects, you can use 25 effects regardless of how many total used/unused conectors you have. Then all you have to do is leave the covers that (hopfully) come with the adaptor/chains. If they don't come with covers, don't fret, just use electrical tape or aqarium tubing, just take a chain to make sure it fits. The tubing thing is from experience, before I ended up getting a second chain (I use one on the guitar board, one on the bass board). I was a dufus and threw out all the covers then wondered why my pedals kept cutting out :oops: . The aquarium tubing saved the day :D

16. Thanks alot. Ive filled out that form and will hopefull hear from them soon.

Peace

17. You know me! :D

I was just saying that for the money you'd spend getting a brick out here in Oz, you'd be far better off having a Spyder made for you.

You don't necessarily have to know them, networking is the name of the game, find a friend of a friend of a buddies girlfriend who's doing electronics at tafe or something.

Anyway, good luck!

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Explain to me again why you don't want a Godlyke?