1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Austin area...Come to my gig!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by txbasschik, Apr 8, 2006.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    If you're not already playing somewhere, come see The Knowbodys. Lago Music Hall, 10 p.m., Swamp Dogs open at 8. 5509 Lohman's Ford, Lago Vista, TX 78645. No cover, beer/wine/BYOB/setups, hot snacks (bratz wraps, nachos, etc.) Fire in the firering to knock the chill off. We'll prolly go 'til 2 or later.

Yes, its a shameless plug! I'm shameless! :bag:

Cherie :bassist:

2. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Hussy...:D

Have a good one!

~John

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yep, just a shaaaameless, brazen, low-end huzzy!

This Mexican dude bought us Bud Lights all night long. We could not get him to understand that only the drummer drinks Bud Light. Juan (his real name) does not speak English, though.

I also had to ask him, more than once, to please get off the stage and quit crowding me. He kept, like, walking and standing *right* behind me. Looking over my shoulder, he was so close! A dedicated fan is nice to have, but I could have whipped around and beaned him with the headstock, he was close!

Cherie :rollno:

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Don't feel too bad, Cherie. You can borrow my Travis Bean if you need to conk that dude.:cool:

I did a sub gig Friday night. For starters, I was basically getting lap dances from the horn players, had to share a music stand with the guitar player (he was maybe a foot away from me), and I was really worried about us all getting bowled over by the swing dancers since there's no stage. But to make things worse, a couple of local band directors were looking at the charts, then staring real hard at me from less than 5 feet away, with that classic arms-crossed pose thing goin' on for most of the first few tunes...

Then some guy who wants to book the band for a mega-corporate gig starts vibing me too. All of this while I'm reading some fairly burly charts, some of which I've barely ever even seen. But you know what? The gig was killer, I got love from all the people who were in my face, the corporate guy is requesting that I play that gig, and they don't even sell light beer at the joint we were playing at. Local microbrew, on the house, all night. :bassist:

Hope you had fun!

5. I played one gig where a big drunk guy wandered up on stage during a set and wanted to shake hands with everybody while we were playing.

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Ahhhhh, dear old Juan. If there was ever a nerdy Mexican construction worker, he's it. He's very sweet and well-meaning, but he gets *muy* borracho and goes overboard.

Wow, all those guys eyeballing you, on a crowded stage, with practically unknown charts...Dude, you are *iron*! I'd have probably thrown up from nerves. Glad to hear that corp dude wants you for a nice gig!

And *microbrew*...ahhh, I miss that about going downtown all the time. No microbrew on the North Shore. (But I can hope for one, yes?) You lucky devil!

Cherie :)

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    LOL! Well, I guess that's better than wanting to kick everyone's butt, eh? Still...friendly drunks are still drunks. But when they're *big* drunks, its awful hard to get them off the stage!

Cherie ;-)

8. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    oi what's wrong with bud light? :eyebrow:

It's cold, watery, smooth and you can have 10 or more and still drive home :bag:

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Miller Lite Is The President Of Beers, and Bud Light is just plain Un-American, being The Vice-King Of Beers and all.

And Bud always gives me a headache, for some strange reason.

The owner's wife at the Lago Music Hall makes sure that she has Shiner Blonde in stock for me, and then when my free beer tickets are gone, I buy another Blonde, and then drink Miller Lite the rest of the night. :)

And when she knows its near payday and I have money, she stocks Blue Moon, since I only drink it every blue moon.

Cherie

10. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    If I think Bud normal tastes like the pits of hell then I guess I won't like Bud light.

As a beer connoisseur, I can wholeheartedly recommend trying local beers. Beers produced on large scales have some 'interesting' ingredients, and generally very little taste.

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Totally. I used to drink Celis...a local brew made by a Belgian family. Lovely stuff! But then one of the big brewers bought them out, and immediately stopped production and closed the Celis brewery. Sad, sad, sad.

We have another outdoor show this weekend. I'm just hoping for no rain Saturday night, and we should have a nice crowd.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 you are right as usual! :D

Watery = bad, Mkay? :rolleyes:

13. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Tastes great, and its less filling! LOL!

I don't know what it is, but *all* Bud product gives me a headache, before I've finished the first one. Miller *never* does.

The rain and hailstorms have come through, given us very-badly-needed water, and gone. Saturday will be warm, sunny, and GORGEOUS!!! The puddles and mud should be dried up well before setup time. I'll be putting up MySpace bulletins and sending e-mails, getting people to come out. No reason to stay home with such a beautiful spring evening forthcoming! We had a great practice last night, and I'm really looking forward to playing.

My drummer husband gets to sing lead on three songs, with me backing him up. Two originals, and "Surrender" by Cheap Trick. He never gets to sing in his other band, and is really enjoying this chance. Wish he'd started that sooner...he's good!