austin bassers...does mars still have any good stuff?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmpiwonka, Nov 13, 2002.

1. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    since mars went bankrupt i am curious if they have any good basses for cheap.
    i will be down there for thanksgiving and wonder is it worth the time to run by there.
    i am looking for a jbass or something like that.
    any pawn shops to check out that you know of also?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, I haven't been there this week but they had a more Fenders than anything else when I was there a couple of weeks ago. They had a Zone bass, some USA j's at least one USA J deluxe, a Sting bass and some various other run of the mill Fenders. I saw an ad in the paper today proclaiming that they have increased their discout. Two weeks ago most of the instruments were 10 % off. Now everything is 20 to 40 % off.

brad cook
  3. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    A peer was just there last night - it was friends and family, although curiously he was neither. An additional 10% off or something like that.

I was there two weeks ago and they had loads of Fenders.

Also, I played a nice Sunburst Mexican Jazz at Strait (South) two weeks ago. I think it was $475.

I have found MJ's to be hit or miss. This was a good one.

Good luck.

4. Well, I'm not sure how is it in Austin, but I'd say you should check out Mars Music soon. The one near me (I live in Georgia) still has some good basses, but there's one problem: a lot of them are scratched or dented.
    (So basically, go soon and get them while there still in good shape. :) )
  5. Honestly, they're not making many deals. I still saw a Am P-bass for around $945.00 - 10%. The sign outside says up to 40% off...but who are they kidding. They're not offering much off instruments, but you can get some deals on misc. gear.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you know- i have been keeping quite about Mars- but when they first opened- they wouldnt even go 30% off on a Fender- thats pretty standard- so i went to Sam Ash and got a deal- i even knew a big wig at Mars- said he couldnt do anything for me- 30% off is not unreasonable- look at them now- maybe if they hadnt been so arrogant with players- their lifeblood- i dunno..