Austin basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 6, 2002.

1. I was at the music store a few weeks ago, and they had 2 NICE Austin bass guitars, the 5 string was about $350 or so.

But I mean the body style was awesome. Dual humbuckers too, that's always a bonus.

Anyone heard of/heard these basses?
  2. As far as I know they're junk; I've seen some of them in Music-Go-Rounds and they are low grade instruments. Generally speaking, if it is brand spanking new and flashy looking and loaded with bells and whistles and is cheap and you've never heard of it, it is a good thing to avoid. If you're interested, take it down and play it and you be the judge; I've been wrong before...but I wouldn't buy one. The 3 basses I gig with are a Reverend Rumblefish XL I bought used off Harmony-Central for $360 (shipped, with a gig bag), a MIJ fretless Fender Jazz Bass I bought used for $300 at a local music store and a D-Bass (poor man's custom) P-Bass clone that I bought brand new from his ad in for $320 including a Fender "Original '62" P-Bass pickup, and shipping. There are plenty of good inexpensive basses available if you keep your eyes open and you know what to buy and what to pass on.
  3. My beginning bass was an Austin 4 string P's at the same level as a Squire bass, just with a different name. Personally, I'd say try that bass to see if you like it,which I doubt, because I have seen that one in the music store I mainily go to. Just keep in mind they are at the same level of quality and sound as a Squire bass. I mean, if you are only going to experiment on the bass,go for it,that's what I do with mine,so that I don't harm my G&l from my little things.....ok....well.....tell me what you think about it after you try it...
  4. Alright thanks guys. I asked the d00d at AB about this last responses :mad:

But I mean...they do look AMAZing. EMG's too.

K thx.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thier P and MM clones might be decent basses to upgrade, sorta like the Essexs. I haven't played any of thier basses, so this is just a speculation. I've seen a price list, though, and thier retail seems pretty high.