Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Austin Blues Clubs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Buck Naked, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Hey how is everyone? I am looking for some good blues clubs around Austin, TX. Does anyone know of any? There is one right down the street from my house called Gino's but I am wondering if there are any other cool places. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Antone's, but I don't know if it's still there. It was down off Lamar, I think. I haven't been back to Austin in years, except for a quick drive-through on my way from Albuquerque...

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, Antone's is kinda known as the place to see that kinda music.

bc

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah Antones is still there but it's on 5th st now. They don't have as much blues anymore though since it's not really popular. Monday night is pretty much the only night they still have blues unless a big show is coming through. Gino's has a nice jam on Sunday nights run by Ted Hall. Nuno's on 6th st. will have blues bands a lot. Eddie V's, though not a club as much as a fancy bar, has blues bands a on Thursdays I know for sure, and probably most Friday's and Saturdays. I think Friends on 6th st. has blues bands, I know they do, or used to, have a jam on Sunday nights. The blues isn't as big as it used to be but it's still going.

5. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Indeed it is still trickling along. Thanks for all of your help! I think I might join in on that jam at Gino's next weekend or so. Seeing as how it's within walking distance of my house and they have really good food.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Shows how long it's been for me!

bc

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Saxon Pub is one of the smaller, cooler and laid back places in town. Sunday nights you can generally catch Stephen Bruton (a killer player) or a band he plays with "The Resentment" which also includes Bruce Hughes (great bassist), John Dee Graham, Judd Newcomb and of course Stephen. Definitely blues influenced, but undeniably rootsy.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Resentments KILL!!!

Was on vacation last fall and stopped by to see themn and was totally blown away by them...ran to the record store the next day and bought all their CDs.

Not really a blues band though they play some blues. They reminded me of NRBQ, a band with multiple singers who all write great songs of their own but like to play great covers, too. Funniest part is it's just a pickup gig for them (though they've been at it for many years).

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    That jam is always pretty good. Ted keeps it under control the whole time as opposed to other jams which just throw people up there. At some of those you'll end up being the only person on stage that knows what they're doing, that's no fun.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Is Joe's Generic Bar still there on 6th? They used to have blues jams on Sun & Mon...

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Joe's is gone. Someone shot him, dead.

Seriously. Someone shot the owner of Joe's dead. Last year, or so. He was a really, really nasty person, so no one was surprised.

The 311 Club still has blues. Friends, on 6th Street, also does, as does Momo's, down the street. There is a great blues jam on Sunday nights at Friends. Walter Higgs usually leads it. I've seen Erin Jaimes in there, and Danny T., too.

Cherie

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    And I think John McVey is often at Friends, wonder why. (Erin's his wife). Yeah Joe was shot. Nuno's has a jam on Monday nights also, but I have yet to check this one out. I'm not sure who's running it either.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wow! I didn't know he got aced! He was definitely a (rhymes with "Trick") to the bands, I used to go in there once in a while. Is it still Walter Higgs and the Shuffle Piggs?

14. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah it's still the shuffle piggs. That's a great name.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yes, John and Erin are often at Friends together.

There's a lot of of blues on The North Shore, if you feel like coming out north of the lake. Most of the venues out here will book blues. DeWayne Davis plays at The Lone Star Bar, George Gusman plays Deli Werks, and Carson Alexander has every Friday night at The Lago Music Hall. His bassist is a buddy of mine, and Carson...well, he is amazing. 15, and reminds me of a young Hendrix or SRV. I'd like to see him expand his repertoire and style some...but he is a hot young gun, no mistake about it.

Cherie :)

16. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Yea I have seen them a few times. Funny you should mention it, Bruces Hughes and my mom used to be good friends. He used to hang out at my house when I was little and I "met" him again a few months ago. Well damn thank y'all for all of the help. I certainly have no excuse for being bored on the weekends anymore. :)