1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Austin pawn shop bass; Transitioning for now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MX5J6, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MX5J6

MX5J6

Oct 31, 2012
    oVQVXza.

So I picked this up yesterday at the pawn shop for what i think was a pretty good price. Restrung it and it plays pretty well. I do have some questions about it, though.

I don't know exactly what model it is or anything about it, honestly. I needed a new bass just to use for a transitional period.

So my questions are, does anyone have any idea of what model this is or does anyone have any kind of information on it? All I know is that it is an Austin. That's pretty much it.

Could this work as a project bass? Maybe putting some new pups on it, new strings, possibly upgrading the electronics or something?

I wasn't looking for my dream bass when I picked this up, but I do actually like it a lot so far.

So, if anyone can offer any advice or opinions on this bass/situation, please feel free.

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    By the headstock, I am guessing it is a "Samick" brand....if you search Samick bass in google, you can find some very similar basses....I did not see anything exact

have fun with it!

3. MX5J6

MX5J6

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I'll add some more pics later. I really do like it so far though. Very happy with my purchase. Anyone else have anything to say? Or any answers to my questions?

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
  5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    If that bass feels like iy just melts into your hands, and you'rve found a bass that inspires and enables your playing, sure... tailor the electronics to your exact liking. Have at it! These have no specific pedigree or immediately-forseeable collectability value.

But, just on playing the "dollars" game, you'll not be wise to put $200 in upgraded electronics into a plywood-bodied bass that probably cost around $250 new. It's not a wise "investment".

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
  7. MX5J6

MX5J6

Oct 31, 2012
    I think you guys are right on that. It looks like you hit the nail right on the head. Jammed with a friend of mine for a bit today with it, really liking it a lot. Very comfortable and easy to play. Just need to get some new strings. Accidentally broke my E string but luckily I had an extra laying around. Though having a new set wouldn't hurt.