Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AndersonHSBass, Oct 17, 2004.

1. I am a high school student who is looking for a high quality orchestral bass(got the jazz thing covered :bassist: ), price isn't a big issue (not 20 grand though :p ). If anybody knows of a good place to look I would be grateful for the help.

AHSBass

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You say Price isn't an issue and you mention "not 20K". Do you mean over or under 20K?

Good Professional Orchestral Basses range that and more. You can spend 100k and still not be satisfied or find your Bass for 18K if that's what your ear is satisfied by. Everyone has their own opinion as to what is good enough for them. Please answer the range of $ more clearly and you will get some good advice out here.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ken, Ken, Ken. You're a character, for sure!

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ok, ok.. Here's a shot in the dark....... Assuming he thinks 20K is 'the sky'.....,>>>

Try finding a Shen Willow 7/8 model Bass. A great buy in quality and $. I have within my collection, a 7/8 800 model which they no longer make but, it works great if set-up correctly for Orchestra playing. Ask John Sprague out here. He can help you locate one. He works for the Shen Dist.

I also own some high end Basses as many know out here that are in a completly different Class altogether. My Shen sounds great for an Ametuer or minor Orchestra but you will need a 'bigger gun' for the Majors !!

Hey Ray, Is that a little better? Missed you in NY last week.. I'll let you know the next time I make a trip.

5. Yea you figured it out I don't have more than 20 grand to blow here. Thanks for the help, if anybody has more to offer I would be grateful.

AHSBass

6. billybass

billybass

Oct 14, 2003
    New Orleans
    since you are in tx, there is the tx bass symposium in three weeks in waco at baylor. robertsons and some others will be showing basses.

7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Call Stephen Wise (luthier in Austin). He may know of someone selling a bass.

http://slwise.home.texas.net/

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)

Would love to meet up.

9. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Another Austin luthier, bow maker, is Kirk Adie. His biz is called Fiddlesticks. He did a super set-up on my bass and he does work for several retailers in the area, at least he did about a year ago. He may know who's got what.

By all means, get ye to that symposium, Edgar Meyers and several mere mortals that are outstanding bassists.

10. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I got my rehair at Fiddlestick and recommend them for their services also.

11. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how much you want to spend? who are you, PM me I am thinking about selling mine. I am in Austin, and maybe can help you find one some other way.