Australia Day Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ox Boris, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Exactly one year ago was my first decent hitout on Bass. I played (badly) about 20 songs over 3hrs, on an ancient P copy with an action as high as it's value was low.

This year, I had my StingRay, played about 60 songs over 5hrs, sang a couple and looked around, enjoying all the Aussie day sights, in a beer garden @ 37 degrees.

The curve is steep and rewarding.

This is the first gig I've "done some settings" on my amp, it sounded good; and solved some problems from last time we played there.

Australia Day gig for us is a bunch of muso mates getting up and doing a turn, switching in and out for various songs, or sometimes, just being on stage when someone starts it.
    Singing this one is our old Bass player and it would be remiss of me not to point out to you fine fellows that his mic technique @ 30secs is a treat to watch. Definitely not where he remembers leaving it.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

nice job! seems like you've picked up your game in just one year --- good for you! congratulations on a successful gig! :thumbsup:

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That Ampeg rig sounds great .... Whats missing here ?????? Food and Chicks ... maybe net gig ;)

Ox Boris likes this.
  4. Good for you getting out there and playing. I'm stealing the "The action was as high as it's value was low" line.

Ox Boris likes this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That's some good rockin' blues. Thanks for sharing!

We'll be playing outside this evening. It should be about 12 degrees (C) when we finish. Quite a bit cooler, eh? The winters are pretty mild here on So Cal. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Ox Boris likes this.
  6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Your songs must be very long if you play 20 songs in 3 hours and 60 songs in over 5 hours. What type of material are you playing?

7. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I didn't play every song. Some I sang while Tave was on Bass. There was also some time in the middle for the Thong Throwing and Mudcrab Races.

BassCliff and Quantized Harmonic like this.
  8. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks everyone for your kind words.

For food, there were meat pies available at reasonable prices. As far as chicks were concerned, they were around, but didn't approach me as I have a face like a dropped pie.
    I'd kill to do a gig in 12 degrees at the moment.

BassCliff and Quantized Harmonic like this.
  9. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    If you haven't noticed already, those are some lovely looking drums.

10. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    For those interested:
    [​IMG]

BassCliff likes this.
  11. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'll bet you WOULD like some cooler weather! That was some impressive playing, though, in spite of the heat.

I was in Sydney and Gold Beach last year, and had meat-pies for the first time, at a little "hole-in-the-wall" shop run by some Indian fellows. They were a real treat; the food was great. We didn't drop any pies, either, so without that video, I'd have no idea what you looked like. :)

Ox Boris likes this.
  12. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Well! While I'm flushed with good vibes I'll put up one we did earlier in the day :)

Still trying to make that pulloff audible.

BassCliff likes this.
  13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Are both "ultra" buttons engaged?

14. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    No, they're both off.