Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flea claypool, Jun 18, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004

Hi :smug:
    im thinking in a few years of goin to work in either america or australia for a year. i will be a fully trained electrician with a national trade cert recognised internationaly[thankfully]

So which place is the best for Money/work availabilty/Accomidation/FOOD!! :help:

i have been to perth before[Great Place!!] but never america!!

So 1 Irish guy looking for help!!
    :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
    Aurin :p
  2. Heheh, u should do a poll.

Obviously I'm going in to bat for Australia, cos I live here and its fing excellent.

But otherwise, I would tell you that Australia has a dire shortage of tradesman due to our silly education policies, so we are looking abroad for qualified tradesman to fill the gaps.

Currently, an electrician would demand around $40 - $50AUD an hour - pretty good money.

Good lifestyle, clean cities, lots of opportunity - put a prawn on the barbie and come on down :D
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Tradesman are NEEDED over here. You'd get a job easily i'd say.

Plus we have better food ;)
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    From what these guys are saying it sounds like you'd probably have less competition down under.

brad cook
  5. Work in the US could lead to lots of things...

- Huge choice of specializations in every manufacturing and industrial category in the world from pharmaceuticals (my brother-in-laws specialty) to atomic energy to commercial construction.

- A fairly easy path to self employment as a sub-contractor or a small business owner. There is a fairly large pool of licensed apprentice electricians available for hire as your business grows and things are always growing.

- The choice to work as union or non-union labor depending on the chosen field of specialization and locale.

- We've got a built in Irish community

- A huge selection of the best bass gear including being the country of origin of a large portion of the world's best amplifiers, instruments, and accessories. All at discount prices - open 24 hours a day.

- American women just loooove Irish accents ;)
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think all women do... :meh:

What's so good about them?
  7. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Irish people rule that's why!!
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ever thought about how much easier it is to get nice hi-end bass gear in the US ;)
  9. go down under, you'll be like steve the crocodile hunter in no time

or....come to the netherlands :D no idea if we have enough technicians or not, never see them anyway
  10. Roughly half of white Australians are Irish! :p

Nice list though. The bass gear choices'd definitely push me America's way.
  11. Ah sher, thirrah's nothin' bitter then a sexy faaarmer accent t' get th' heifer's clooothes aff!
  12. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I'd go with Australia. A women with an Australian accent can look like Death and i would still become a blob of stupid. umm....ummm...hah.ham.....eeeeeehi...I'm.umm.ummm.yeah.
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Its funny... i never knew australia had electricity... you know... i learned something today... i am glad
  14. Really. What do your welding jobs pay roughly and are they in demand?

Thought about bass euipement

15. What do you specailize in? Manufacturing type thing (i.e Ford Motor Company etc...) or more Engineering, bit of everything? What tickets do you have?

The Engineering side of things is always in demand- Iknow 3 or 4 welders, and all of them get new job offers at least twice a year, whilest already working in a steady job. Fairly good rate...

I passed up an apprenticeship as a welder / boilermaker at Alcoa Australia becasue it ment moving about 120km away with about 3 days notice- Kind of regreting it now :meh:
  16. I must know why you have an Irish username, Cúl-Báire! You a goalie?

17. Personally I would choose Australia, people often remak how it's some much like "home" when coming over from the UK- personally I think it's bull****. I was born in Ireland- and spent a few years living there (15 to 18) since coming to Australia when I was 3ish... Call Australia home, but call myself Irish (still have bit of an accent)... And plenty of flags :bassist:

Australia wins, stuff my be cheaper in America- but atleast you can walk down the street without worring about getting shot or sued, or even worse getting sued by the guy who shot you :rolleyes:

The Food is better not processed crap- a vegtables are real, not genetic mutations...

People are alot friendlier- and alot less stupid in Australia; hard to believe I know :p Sorry to those that are American- but I am sick of being asked if every one rides kangaroos to work, and if we all look and talk like Steve Irwin...

Jobs are easy to find for those with the right trade certificates- sparkies are payed very well. Although you will need to join the union (ETU? and Maybe CFMEU) if you are to work on building sites- This will cover insurance and such, garunties safe and fair working conditions, and is reclaimable come tax time.

I hope that helps, not much there thats of any good... But I can tell you one other thing- Bass players are always in need :bassist:

18. Well that indirectly answers my question!
  19. Hehehe I swear I say you say that in another thread that was floating down on the 4th page or so, a week or so ago. :)

The name Cúl-Báire was given to me by a bunch of friends I used to hang out with- all of whom are Irish; as said above, there are lots of Irish people in Australia. After playing soccer *coughfootycough* with them alot, I'd always be the goalie- It was also a trend that continued when I played Ice-Hockey, goalie again.. Those days are gone now, but I still prefer to be called Cul as opposed to my real name, which is actually quiet un-Irish. :bawl:

The word Cul marks pretty much everything- I have it on my race bikes, helmets, hockey sticks and such... It's a mistery to those that dont know the word, because I rarely give up what it means. :p
  20. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    YUP!! ;) :bag: :)

Ya that really helped a hell of alot!! and i didnt find it like home!! thats why i liked it!!

Sorry one last question, cost of living?? is it fairly exspensive??
    i.e Accom/Travel??

Thanks Again