Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Australian Bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jul 27, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have heard all these American bands being spoken about, and it sent me into a patriotic frenzy.

What are some Australian bands that are popular/famous over in the US or elsewhere.

Im gonna list a few, and mabye u guy can tell me if any ring a bell.

John Farnahm
    Superheist (Nu-Metal)
    Jebadiah(Punk)
    Silverchair (Rock)
    Grinspoon (Hard Rock)
    Bodyjar (Punk-Rock)
    28 days (Punk-Rock)
    Frenzal Rhomb (Punk-Rock)
    One Dollar Short (Probably the best of all these bands, Punk)
    and....of corse...

AC/DC

Any other guys feel free to add to this list, and if you havent heard any of these guys, i suggest you get some of their songs ASAP, because there is some under-rated talent coming out of this big brown land ;) :)

2. Im sure that most of that punk stuff probably doesnt get far from these shores, but I know people in the US who love Powderfinger. And what about INXS or The Cruel Sea, or Cold Chisel, or Midnight Oil? And of course there are the Bee Gees.
    Jim

3. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Frenzal Rhomb is actually really popular around these parts.(yeehaw)

4. MIDNIGHT OIL!

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    men at work!!!

what?

6. Has anyone else heard The Living End? They're a pretty good punk band. Oh yeah, and their bassist plays a double bass :D. It's a crazy world.

7. The Living End are excellent! I've seen them a few times. The guitarist is one of the best in the world, I think, and the bassist is amazing. I have seen him balance the double bass on its tip, and stand on top of it and play!!
    Jim

8. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Theres this band called the Avalanches who I believe are from Australia. Ive gotten all my friends addicted to them so you should check them out. Be sure to check out the song "Frontier Psychiatrist"

9. Uh not a band or a great artist...

but Rick Springfield is an Aussie.

Uh oh, BUT so is Kylie Minogue (WAIT! BUT? Her music sux but she is HOTTT!!!:D :D )

Oh, and wasn't 80ers Icehouse Aussies too?? (Electric Blue, Crazy...)

I did watch (down here in España) a powerpop group which impressed me: The Pyramidiacs. Their bassist played on the Lemonheads last album. They were cool.

10. "Frontier Psychiatrist" is awesome!! I love that song. I got to see the Avalanches last year, they were great.
    Jim

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, fewer shoutouts for the brilliant Midnight Oil than I expected. They are fantastic. I really love them. I love to pull out my pick and fuzz box and jam along with "Underwater" from the fantastic "Breathe" album from a few years back.

12. Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Jun 18, 2002
    GY - England
    how could you guys forget...

Anal C***!!!

their australian accent is far to relvealing ;)

haha..

some very funny song titles too..

l8r

13. Any one know of these great rock and roll bands
    the screaming jets (just re-formed),
    nick cave and the bad seeds,
    you am I (saw em about a month ago),
    Silverchair (Saw em at bdo beginning of the year),
    John Butler Trio (and again at bdo. they're doing a us tour at the momment. From my end of the world).

Bull s**t!!!!!!!! THey suck. they're crappy pop punk

The chair are far superior and so are grinspoon.

14. Silverchair is the best band!!! but there videos don't realy get played in america ,which sucks

15. Living End are GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!!! Pour them in a bowl, put milk on 'em and call them delicious, because they are!!

Bodyjar aren't bad, and Frenzel Rhomb's okay, though I haven't heard much of them.

The Porkers are from there too, and is One Man Army from there too?

16. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i did some shows with silverchair a few years back.

Also did a show with a band called "SuperJesus" a while back as well.

both bands were good live.....

17. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    the avalanches, 1200 techniques(sp?), john butler trio, grinspoon are all great aussie bands.

the vines on the other hand.
    that guitarrist needs the **** kicked out of him many times over for acting so stupid. what the hell is he on anyway?

18. Any one heard of the androids, admitably **** musos, well the lead guy can play good. but i'm just wondering if the us got "do it with madonna"

19. Dude! The Birthday Party. before they became Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds .you'v never heard of them??? They weren't big stars here in the US, but IMO they were the best band to ever come out of Australia.. The Saints, they were cool too..

Many of the Australian Surfing Video's, have up and coming Aussie bands featured on them..

20. 28 Days got quite a bit of airplay on XFM in london about 2yrs ago or so.

I've recently downloaded Iva Davies(Icehouse)' cover of the Psychedelic Furs' "sister europe" - nice.