Australian music gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xan, Jul 11, 2005.

1. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia

I was just wondering where the rest of you aussies purchase your gear? I have yet to find an Australian equivalent of a musiciansfriend, are we doomed to suffer high prices for eternity?

Shipping is the real killer, especially when it comes to amps and cabs... So are there any australian-friendly resources that I am unaware of? (other than ebay)

Thanks for your help

2. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    woah that was quick! i have checked that place out before, i still thought that the prices were a little high? Maybe i need be more realistic!

Do you buy most of your gear from there?
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I buy most of my gear in the US and have it shipped over.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've imported my MM Sterling and Schroeder 410.

I'll be importing a Warwick Streamer Stg II as well..
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    ok thanks, i guess that means theres nothing better at home.
  6. I imported my...

Fender American Jazz Bass
    Gallien Krueger 800RB (1987 model) :bassist:

Got of ebay or second hand...

Essex P/J-Bass
    Ampeg SVT 410HE (second hand through retailer)
    Gallien Krueger 400RB III

Got new in Australia...
    Hartke 210XL
    Spector NS2002

I would definatly look into importing Cabs and Guitars if you must have new stuff- even Amps, although some study is required on that one.... If you dont mind someone elses preloved gear- check out trading post, or even store that deal in second hand musical gear... I got my SVT410HE dirt cheap, it has one stuffed speaker- but I have since found out the cab may be of some vintage... :bassist: Trying to locate replacements.

Just shop around theres deals to be had, jsut keep your ears to the ground, talk to members of other badns and the like- stuff just pops up.
  7. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    good advice... im still trying to weight up whether even the extra $400AU odd shipping/import charges for heavier items, its cheaper to buy from the US...

thanks for the input
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i remember that a fellow TB'er who worked at basscentral posted that they deliver overseas. check them out:

9. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    cheers.. basscentral prices look pretty nice, especially the used gear!
  10. But remember, we have to get them modified to run on 240volts, you have to add that price in as well.
  11. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Might want to look into Japanes music stores. I would assume the shipping would be much cheaper. There's Ishibashi, which seems to be a Talkbass favorite and companies like Atelier Z deal with English speaking customers as well. That limits your choices a bit, but still something to consider.
  12. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    +1, especially on the basses. I love the clones that come out of Japan. Companies like Atelier, Morris, Navigator (ESP), Tokai etc.

The amps will have to be converted as well, too. I think they run on a 120VAC.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think your better off a lot of the time with finding an amp with easy voltage conversion (EA, Eden, Epi etc) than getting the voltage changed..
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Think about it. We're miles from anywhere, and we're a small population. If music stores are going to make money, they have to firstly cover shipping costs, then work on a margin based on the likely number of sales. In a high population environment, you might be able to make a living selling x number of cabs a week at a small mark-up. But when you're only likely to sell 1/4x cabs, the mark-up has to be higher if you're going to survive.

So yep, we're doomed. Unless you really really know what you want, then go about importing it. There's money to be saved but there are other issues. Firstly, it's a hassle. Secondly, your options for recourse are limited if the goods arrive faulty. The seller blames the shipping company, the shipping company blames the seller, and you go around in circles. If you buy from a store, you return it and all that other stuff becomes their problem. Thirdly, voltage differences create further considerations.

Also, don't be afraid to try some locally made gear. Audio Assemblers Australia make some really good gear which is very reasonably priced. You'll find their gear under the "Ebony" and "Pro Audio" brand names. Labstystems gear is great. It can be pricey, but it's worth a look!
  15. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Lab Systems stuff in my opinion is as good as SWR/Eden/aguilar.

Good quality.
  16. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Firstly I should say that I have nothing to do with these guys.

I think their prices are very very competitive. My perspective might be skewed a little but whenever someone comes in to where I work with a price from their website, on checking it out, it is usually far more than what we would usually discount. A problem you might run into from there is how long it will take you to get the goods. Unless they really have some gigantic warehouse there's no way they could have everything that is listed on their site to you in a week.
  17. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    +1 great guys, prices and service...

I personally don't mind taking the risk and the hassles of importing gear (I've done it a few times so now I know the pitfalls and what to look out for etc)... I just can't pay the prices the shops over here are asking, most times its so much cheaper in the USA even if I have to post it back a few times for repairs (which has never happened) it would still be way cheaper.. aslo there's always the option of having it repaired locally and lumping the cost (it will still work out HEAPS cheaper).. I usually save about AUD$1000 on everything I buy from the USA so I'm stoked!!! Damage during shipping is really the biggest issue but once the item gets here ok... things are usually smooth sailing (touch wood)...
  18. I have found them to be quiet good- I have ordered stuff from there a few times, normally over the phone but they are very helpful. My Cab got here in about a week- a few other tings in about the same time :)
  19. I've bought all my gear here in Aus (both 2nd hand & new). It's just a matter of establishing a good relationship with a store that will move worlds to get gear for you... :)

About the only thing I'm interested in overseas at the moment is the Boomerang Phase Sampler... :ninja: