Australian Net-ballers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jace The Bass, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I thought I'd put my neck on the line on this one
    Anyway did anyone catch the Netball test between the Aussies and New Zealand
    As you would've heard New Zealand won now the Aussies are whinging about the loss saying we were using rough tactics but if they would've won it would be a different story
    Anyway to you Aussies out there EAT IT ! :D

Waiting for angry sheep jokes in response :D
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I didn't even know it was on.

Congratulations on your victory.
  3. According to

1 entry found for netball.

n : a team game that resembles basketball; a soccer ball is to be thrown so that it passes through a ring on the top of a post

Sounds cool. Anyone have any history on it? I've never heard of it.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It was invented during the great sheep depression of aught six....

anyway, I've never heard of it before now, sounds sort of random. Is there a link we could check out or something?
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm a little surprised by this. In Australia at least, there is barely a single girl who didn't play netball as a youngster.

Is there a sport in the US that young girls automatically sign up for?
  6. *raises her hand*

I didn't. I played basketball instead.

7. When I lived in the states, I was amazed that every second little girl played soccer (football for you pureists)! Definately a larger majority of girls played soccer than they do here in Australia. And in Atlanta at least, it seamed to me that female professional soccer was more popular than the mens soccer! I'm probably way off but thats the impression I got.

In Netball, you can get penalised if your finger nails are too long :eek:

8. Heres a link to Australian netball->

Basically its basketball without dribling and you can't run with the ball.

I am in no way a netball fan. But I must say, as they have been televising it a bit lately on Australian TV, it is quite a fast game.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know, my daughter is only 3. I can't remember my sister doing anything other than cheerleading.
  10. How? They didn't use you as the ball, did they? So mean to do that to someone so young... :p

11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What happens to the girls that try out for cheerleading and miss out? Are they sentenced "no sports" for the rest of their lives?
  12. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Yep - watched the match with interest. The Aussie's have used their physical style of game to their advantage for many years, giving no quarter - when they got it back the other night 'whine whine whine'

Good on the NZ Netballers, they deserved their win.

13. What?
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    He asked if they used you as the ball.
  15. I know, but it... it just doesn't make sense.
  16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Is this netball?

The mixed team sport, field divided between attack and defence, the worst penalty in the history of ballsports?

17. He meant when you were very wee, like too young to reach a net and all that. Your only way of playing would be to be used as a ball. I found it kind of humorous. Or humourous. I'm not really sure, and my dictionary is over there ----> and really heavy.
  18. I guess you can call it between the two of you's Lovers quarrel
  19. I actually played this sport in Elementary school, but with a few variant rules. Til now I thought it was something our bored coach made up. Learn something new everyday.

20. I know what he meant, but where did it come from?