Australian Users - Your advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paroxyst, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Hi guys!

I'm just interested in hearing from any Australian users with a bit of advice to contribute on buying a rack-mounted amplifier.

I play a Warwick, an amp with great tone is a must, however I want something with some big, fat ****in' balls on it that will be more than capable of putting up with heavy distortion and other effects.

The reason I was for Australian users in particular is because I'm very interested in hearing what you have paid in terms of price, and also just to know what IS availiable down here in Oz. Please don't let that discourage any of the international members from putting their 2 cents in!

Cheers guys! :D

2. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Hey man....

I dunno if you've seen the band Cog, but they're IMO without doubt the best hard rock band in Australia at the moment. When they supported System Of A Down last year, their guitarists' reaction was "thats the best fargin band i have ever seen".

Anyway, enough dribbling. Luke, their bassist, plays through a warwick, and he uses Eden amps and boxes, and i gotta say, the combo of warwick and eden sounds 'kin amazing in that hard rock/metal/whateveryoucallit genre. He plays through a WT-600 which fires 300watts into an eden 410, and another 300 into an eden 212......Punch and Fat tone for days

But seem as though you live in canberra, i dunno if there's any eden stockists down there. Pro Audio sells plenty of Mesa stuff though, and at probably the best prices in the country. So check that stuff out too.

My vote would be to drive upto sydney and check out eden though. To my ears, eden gear really compliments warwick's tone.
  3. Thanks for that, slot!

Agreed! Cog and fuvking awesome! :D

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey bud.

I saw cog at the big day out last year (almost down to the day) and i must say, their bass player sounded brilliant. he had balls, he had guts, he had amazing highs, he was just wonderful, i agree.

I myself live in Melbourne, so there arent very nmany shops i can reccomend, but there is one shop in Sydney, called the bass player, have a look at their web site Bass they sell all imported stuff from the states, and what not. anyway if you have the dough, Lab Systems are a great Australian made company. Hope that helps!
  5. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    If you're going in to Pro Audio check out their own brand of amps....

I have one ( 400 watt combo with 2x12's ) and it kicks serious butt....

You can get the head seperately ( rack mount unit ) for a grand ( probably less ) and there are heaps of speaker cabs configs to try too ( they use Eminance drivers for the cabs )...

Just depends on your budget & what kind of sound you are looking for I guess... Just don't write 'em off because they aren't a "Name Brand"..I almost did... Until I tried 'em.

Peterbass has a couple of the head units ( the same specs but they are branded Ebony made in the same factory in Melbourne tho ) he swears by them too ( unless youve changed your mind Poida )

Anyway, enjoy the amp shopping...It's fun!!!!!!
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nope, haven't changed my mind. They do everything well. They're half the price of a GK, and a third of the price of an Eden. I can't vouch for the speakers but the amp units are excellent. I bought it to replace a Labsystems 400B which died after 10 years of great service. I actually walked in there with enough money to buy a GK 1001b but walked out with the Ebony Quake 400 instead.

It's 400w at 4 ohms, loud and clear. Controls for Bass, Low Mid, High Mid, and Highs, PLUS a switchable 7 band EQ. It has a mid-shape switch which is really just a 500Hz boost, a treble boost switch, a bass cut switch. Plenty of tone shaping but most of the time I've got it set almost flat (depending on the room acoustics and the speakers I'm using). If anything I find muself cutting the low frequencies <75Hz because the amp is rather strong in that area. All this in a unit 2 rack spaces high that only weighs 12Kg.

My only complaint is the DI. It is post preamp and isn't swichable. It doesn't bother me though because I used my sansamp as a DI.

I paid $1,100 for each but that was a couple of years ago now. Bargain.
  7. I've been eyeing off that rack-mount amp of theirs for a while now, I was just wondering whether there is anything better out there, especially inclusive of price... I want to piece together a system that move some serious volumes of air eventually, so an amp that will do the kilometres that could work well in tandem with another of it's kind of multiple speaker boxes is ideal...

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What's the budget?

What cabs are you going to use with it?
  9. I won't deny that the budget's likely to be pretty fecking tight. I guess I'm really just trying to find something to aim for.

As far as cabs, I was looking at the possibility of a single 8x10 or 2x12 & 4x10 combination... What do you think?

10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh I thought you already had cabs. Sorry my bad!

Well if your building the rig from the ground up, the sky is the limit.

If budget is tight, you should consider the Pro Audio cabs as well. They've got Eminence drivers in them so they're equivalent to the Avatar cabs that all the Americans rave about in terms of "Bang for bucks". I haven't gigged with them but I did give the a quick try (with the Ebony badge) at the store and I thoiught they sounded fine. I can't coment on how they go at gig volume.

Damn has the 2x12 and it apparently has a pretty fat sound. I remember quizzing him about it and we decided the 12's sounded more like small 15's than big 10's. If that's the case, it should sound pretty good with a 4x10 on top. And loud. Dang that would be loud!
  11. i was playing an ibanez atk300...which sounds like a p-bass, j-bass and stingray all in one (well, sorta) now onto the kubicki ex-factor...and ive got a '82 peavey mark III head and ill say that i wanna play through this head as long as i can..if this amp ever breaks ill try and find another exactly the same....and i only picked it up for $350aus...well i traded the evil ashton 150w combo for it.....bit of advice never even touch an ashton..lay your eye's on one and you'll have to sterelise them...

but only running it into a laney 15" cab..which is ok...but im trying to find a 2x12" now...damn eden's dont make them anymore...cant find a swr dealer nearby and ill be stuffed where im gonna find one...and im sticking to a 2 grand budget so it looks like slim pickins...if worst comes to worst and i cant find one it'll be the eden 1x15" and eventually add a 2x10" or 12"...

i dunno if this makes any sense...i just babble on

cheers heath
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wan one of those!! A friend of mine has a pair of them but he doesn't play in bands any more. What a waste.......
  13. Loud? LOUD?! :D *lol* This is just the starting point!

The truth of the matter is that I'm not even playing in a band at the moment, I'm still waiting to meet that special group of guys or gals that I can really connect to...

Bah! I'm rambling! At the root of all this planning is the fact that after watching and playing in gigs for years now, I've come to realise what really makes an awesome show for a band that is just starting out is awesome gear for them to deliver their (hopefully) awesome music through. *giggle*

If there is one thing that general FOH engineers are guilty of at most gigs these days, it's dumbing down the bass, which, in the case of much music, totally destroys the sound of the band.

There's been a few gigs I've been to where the show has been absolutely outstanding, and one of the major culprits has been the massive rig that the bassist has hauled on stage.

So there you go. My aspirations. ;) *chuckle*

14. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I'm not sure if Pro-Audio are going to make a 2x12 box ( mine are in the combo ) but it'd be an awesome box if they did.....

I'm about to get a 2x10 to sit on top of it for a bit more of an "in my face" sound...

That head will move serious amounts of air...I'm only running it at 8ohms ( just with the internal speakers ) and in most of the rooms around Canberra that I've played in ( not heaps but where I have played would be considered the average size for rooms ) it hasn't gone up over 3 maybe to 4 when I'm pushing it...So adding another cab & running it at 4 will be awesome ( can't wait )...

Check 'em out....

PS If you really wanna thump it, they make a 2 x 15 cab that pounds!!!!!!!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  15. That might be what I'm after, then... a 2x15 and a 4x10.

Still not sure whether I want to run the amps actively crossed over or whether to tune each amp for their respective speaker box with the mild-manner eq functions availiable on the head...

16. AdamRuckus

AdamRuckus Guest

Mar 21, 2003
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Hi Paro, back to your original question... It was this very forum that convinced me to go for a digital preamp + power amp combo, and I haven't looked back.

I'm now running a Behringer V-amp pro into a EP2500 power amp, through a Trace Elliot 4x10 box. Sure, Behringer isn't the duck's guts but the signal I send to the FOH is better than anything I ever have before. Hook it up to a computer to get the patches right, and it's 90% as good as the most expensive alternatives. I always get comments about that from sound guys when we use in-house PA's. So all that at total cost of around AUD$2k for the whole rig. The power amp is complete overkill too (2 channels of around 700 watts at 4ohms), I only use one channel, with the other spare to power another box, or even FOH or monitors if we need them.
  17. Hey, if you are looking at amps and cabs, i would suggest going into Better Music in Phillip. It's my understanding that both Better Music and Pro Audio are owned by the same people so the prices are pretty much the same, but Better Music carries a much better range of bass equipment (at least they did last time i checked).

As for which Cab/Amp barand, etc... I would suggest taking a look at Eden. Have a talk to the guys that work there, but I know one who plays warwicks and he runs through an Eden head and one, sometimes two, eden 4x10 cabs. I have an Eden head myself and I love it. Sounds fantastic. The downside is the cost. You are looking at about $2600 for the 400watt head, up to like $4500ish for the larger 800watt head. Cabs aren't cheap either, a 4x10 box will set you back around $3000. They are however, the best stuff I have heard. I've played Hartke, SWR (my current cab) trace elliott, Mesa Boogie, and non of them really compared to the Eden stuff in my opinion.

Anyway, food for thought...
  18. I'm totally with you Adam. You're my kinda guy. :D

You wouldn't believe the number of purist wankers that have told me that I'm kidding myself and I MUST by a 'proper' bass amplifier because even with amp modelling because a conventional power amp just can't handle the signal from an active bass. :meh:

What a steaming crock of ****. What the **** are DI's to FOH systems all about?! :spit:

For the record, Better Music and Pro Audio are owned by the same body, however they are still competitive to each other. They carry completely different product lines from each other, and will both do their best to undersell the other if it comes to that. I got $300 off my Korg DTR-1000 after playing them off against each other 4 times! *ROFL* :D

At any rate, the guys at Better Music get my preference. More down-to-Earth service and a better deal, in my humble opinion.