Authentic Cuisine versus the Americanized version

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 28, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What has your expirence been in comparing Authentic Cuisines IE chinese/greek/italian to their Americanzed counterparts?.Did you ever like the Americanized version say Chinese food better then the Authentic Cuisine of its native land from China ,Taiwan or Singapore?.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ha ha ha - I like the Americanized versions better.... :D
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    American Chinese food is usually pretty different from the food you get in China and I actually view them as two totally different genres of food and I can enjoy both...kind of like Tex-Mex vs. Jalisco or something I don't consider those the same type of food but I enjoy both. Real chinese food is real good though! I love authentic greek, thai and vietnamese foods!

brad cook
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The only Americanized food that's better than the origianal is pizza. Chineese, Thai, Mexican, Etc can't be touched by the generic american version.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Americanized thai food is very bad. Luckily it seems like it's one of the genres that tends to be more authentic. At least at the restaurants I've been to.

brad cook
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    There are two kinds of Chinese food: served within China and served outside. Not necessarily Amercianized as you'll find variations of the "outside of China" food in Canada, Uk, Australia, etc.

Food within China is very different and not always appetizing.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In China the food is usually great if YOU'RE the one ordering it and you know what you're doing! The worst food I had in China was ALWAYS at banquets or when they were ordered for me by a Chinese person.

On a few occasions I've had very authentic chinese food in american restaurants. It's pretty rare though.

brad cook
  8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ha ha ha - "Mongolian Barbecue".... :)

Give me a good ol' American "mongolian barbecue" any day. :D
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Out here, we sometimes get a different version of Americanized Thai, and it can be great. For instance, I had Dungeness crab phad thai a couple of days ago. This place uses fresh wild halibut and salmon in some of the dishes too, and veggies like spinach when in season. Nearly all the staff are Asian-American though, and the recipes are created by a first generation Thai immigrant. The food kills, plain and simple. It still had a very "authentic" vibe though, if that makes any sense. If by Americanized you mean bland, fuggetaboudit!

I didn't have any pizza in Italy that came close to a good New Haven pie, but I might've easily missed out on the right places. :meh:
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    There's places where you can go like China Town for instance and get some great Chinese food. Usually for great Asain cusine nothing beats Canada because the Asian Immigrants bring with them the authentic dishes and knowhow to make good food. If you go into a ethnic resturant and find the owners and staff native to the country representing the food and not speaking good English then your chances are much better for finding a good authentic meal. For example we have Mexican Town in Detroit, great food. Not as good as Mexico when I had it on vacation but the best I've had up here. I'm sure if you live down near the border in Cali or Texas you will find great Mexican food too. I vacationed in Thailand and the food there was the awesome! I've only eaten at two Thai resturants, one in Windsor Ontario and one in Ann Arbor Mi, that came close, but it was still far. The best Chinese food I had was on a trip to Toronto in ChinaTown, the menu was all in Chinese and they had some really odd dishes like crispy fish skin or pig stomach. But the food we had there was great but I assume nothing like a good resturant offer in China. Vietnamese and Laos soup returants, yummy if you can find a good authentic place around where you live.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I get what you're saying. Sounds like more of a gourmet fusion kind of thing. I was talking mainly about people who try to make thai food but don't really know how to do it the right way. Or they do know how to make it the right way but think they can be more successful by making it to how they think americans (or some other country) would like it better.

brad cook
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A very long time ago in a community far, far away. I was invited to dinner at (the time) my girlfriend's mom's house. The meal was prepared and served by some Chinese nationals who were visiting and wanted to make us all dinner.

The food, while not the best I ever had, was alright. It didn't knock me out like some of the Americanized versions of the same thing do.

That particular GF's mom always had the best champagne though. I was a lush.
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

probably just cause there is a lot more bad things in it making it taste better. :p
  14. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mmm... sake .... mmmm....

If you drink enough of that stuff, you'll be able to ignore the rest of the fatty acids and choleresterol.....

Not to mention the dog meat.....

Yesterday my g/f brought us some Peruvian "saltado", and I have to say, it was the biggest chunk of lard I've tasted in quite a while. It almost made me lose my lunch, so to speak.

Out here in LA, there's an upsurge in Chinese food places that are reasonably "healthy", and pay attention to the nutritional content in the Kung Pao shrimp and so on.

That's one thing that's worth paying attention to, IMO. "Fast food", no matter what national variety, is very unhealthy.

It tastes good, maybe, but just wait five or ten years, you'll be trying to wolf down all that vegetable oil, and it won't be doing you any good.

That's one thing I can definitely say about "first generation" ethnic foods, they tend to be somewhat more reasonable in their content.

If you can get by the idea of dog meat. :D

These days, we tend to favor Sushi and things like that.

Mercury is good stuff.

There's no winner in this game, with very few exceptions. :eyebrow:
  15. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    This threat is making me hungry... food is food i dont care what it is... i'll eat it:)
  16. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've kinda been digging Indian food lately too. The Naan, and the curries, that kind of thing. I'm not yet sure whether they're healthy or not, haven't yet done the research on that, but just from the taste going down, they seem to be a little more beneficial than most other kinds of "American-ethnic" foods. We have a little Indian place a few blocks from our house, and the people there are pretty good. They'll cook your Tandoori the way you want it, and they seem to know quite a bit about nutrition. I'm going to check that out here shortly. The thing to watch out for, IMO, is the "special sauces" that people put on their Americanized foods. We seem to love that high fructose corn syrup thing. :D
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The more authentic the better. Off the beaten path, strange ingreediments, and hopefully I can't even understand the people serving the food. I love it.
  18. I agree...... and so does my wife, shes from Toronto, and is always complaining about the food in Forida. I keep telling her that there is no ethnic base to draw on so everything is "americanized". It kills me that all the reastraunts here are a mish mosh of cultures...sushi/thai , chinese/japanese.

The only authentic ethnic food in Mia is Cuban which I don't care for. There's no Italian, Mexican,Korean, or any of the Eastern European flavors either.

You get spoiled living in a big city with alot of ethnic diversity, and really spoiled if you travel to some of those countries and get the real deal........My taste buds ache for Viet Pork buns!!!!! My Daughter is in Italy this week and she keeps emailing me with all the outrageous food she's eating every day, I'm drueling on my keyboard!!!
  19. Monk

Jun 15, 2004

You crazy, Man?

Pizza from Italy would kick the ass off any pizza in the U.S.

As to the original topic I would have to say there are many, many, Italian restaurants that don't serve good food, compared to Italy. However that isn't really fair as Italy is as diverse town to town as the U.S. is coast! And that's only a slight exageration. But those in America don't really get it right, with the exceptin of a few restaurants.
  20. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I had real Mexican down in Mexico and it sucked.