1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Auto clear coat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JDHolmes, Mar 4, 2010.

1. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    I've done woodworking for years and have never really been satisfied with poly finishes due to the yellowing, even on those which aren't supposed to yellow.

I'm going to be refinishing a couple of bodies in the next week or so and building my own bass just to do it and because I've always loved wood.

I did use the search function so if I missed it, blame poor search technique rather than lack of searching. What I'm wondering though is if any of you have used or currently use auto clear coat instead of poly finishes?

I came to this a couple of years ago when putting wood into the interior of an auto restoration I'm working on, knowing that poly yellows so quickly in sunlight/uv. I also ask because I have quite a bit of auto clear as I do auto painting/restoration and have the product available though obviously more expensive than poly products.

Your thoughts on this??

thanks
    JD

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    automotive clear coat works great for doing up basses.
    duplicolor makes some of the best.

im experimenting, later this week, with exterior wood varnish/clear coat to see if that holds up.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You will have a choice of urethane or epoxy for the clear coat. I use the PPG Deltron 2000 urethanes for my clears and I love them!

4. dremy2006

dremy2006 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Miami Gardens, Fl
    Works great for me..I go down to the automotive supply store, get a quart of clear and hardener..20 bucs after spraying let it sit 3 to 4 days… hard as a rock…

Attached Files:

5. Flyingaero

Flyingaero

Jan 12, 2010
    are you using anything special or have something in mind?

I am also interested

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    did you spray the finish on with that spray bottle?

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I had my headless sprayed with Chroma-clear. It's at about 5mils...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020