Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auto defrost

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My 1989 Bronco II has developed a problem with the defogger. Whenever I turn it on, the winshield fogs over. If I turn down the heat, it eventually begins to clear the fog but not completely. Why is this happening?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think it could be just a dirty windshield - do you smoke? Do you clean the inside of your windshield regularly? I think it could also be caused by coolant leaking into the heater core. That would be a sign that your heater is starting to go out on you.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I wiped the windows but it still happened. I don't smoke either so wonder how much a new heater will cost?

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Don't worry just yet - An actual mechanic will be along soon to give you better information. (usually Mike N) I'm not a professional. I do however believe that an inexplicable fogging windshield can be a sign that you have anti-freeze in the heating system. But, I could be wrong.
    When I was young and couldn't afford a new heater core for my junker I just bypassed it - the car ran fine and it's an easy and free fix. the downside, of course, is that if you do that - you don't have a heater anymore.
    But again, I don't know that your heater is broken. :meh:

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Just to be clear - when you say you "wiped the windows" Does that mean that you thoroughly cleaned them with glass cleaner, or does it mean that you smeared around in the fog with an old T shirt or some such thing?

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Like Creepy said, you'll probably be doing a heater core replacement soon. Check your carpet all around underneath the dash and in front of the seats to see if they're wet. Also, see if you can pick up any antifreeze odors when you turn the fan on.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Oh, and check your antifreeze level (when it's cool, of course).

8. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    I thnk the heater core for my '88 Ranger was like $30 and it was pretty easy to put in, around an hour.

9. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Yep sounds like the heater core is going. It shoouldn't be to hard in that truck, though I have heard horror stories of changing it in Ford Tauruses :)

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I just smeared the window with a towel. It looked clean though....

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Seriously? :meh: A bottle of windex and some paper towels might fix your problem.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You probably have a leaky heater core.
    Have you also noticed a maple syrup smell inside the truck? That would be the antifreeze leaking out and being blown around by the fan.
    Temporarily you could try a bottle of stop leak, but it's only a band aid for heater core replacement.

When I was young and couldn't afford a new heater core for my junker I just bypassed it - the car ran fine and it's an easy and free fix. the downside, of course, is that if you do that - you don't have a heater anymore.

Been there, done that. Back in my poor college days I had a 74 Maverick that the heater core let go in. Being I could hardly afford to pay attention, I bypassed it and drove the entire winter without any heat. That sucked, to say the least.

13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    It's a simple two step process. (Read: it's a freaking nightmare)
    1) Remove entire dashboard to access heater core.
    2) Reverse procedure to install.

:D

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I'm a DIY guy when it comes to car maintenance, but heater core replacements are something that I would gladly pay somebody else to do...if I had the money...

15. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    If the bronco II is like the ranger, its pretty easy.
    1. pull your two hoses and drain them into a pail
    2. take off a plastic guard thingy under the glove box
    3. pull the core out
    took me under an hour

PS: I'd avoid using stop leak, I hear it can f*** over your radiator in the long run.

16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If you use stop leak in moderation you wont have any problems. In fact, most new cars come from the factory with it. The problem happens when people try using bottle after bottle of it trying to seal up a major leak.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    - IGNORE THIS POST -

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I don't know anything about heater cores, but just hope to God that you don't ever have to change the thermostat in that B2.

We've had an '85 B2 for about 6 or 8 years now, and while it has been almost completely trouble-free, it did develop a problem with the thermostat right after we got it. My dad is a VERY mechanically inclined fellow and has been working on cars since he was about 13 or 14, so he knows what he's doing. It took us combined over 4 hours, 20 busted knuckles and a lot of curse words to get the thermo out and put the new one in.

19. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Mike N, I can't smell any maple syrup coming out of the dash. Country Boy, are the two hoses under the hood behind the firewall? I'm not mechanically inclined so need to ask this question. Thinking about pulling hoses and removing the plastic thing under the dash scares me.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That reminds me of a Chilton's manual I had for an old Capri that I owned in the early 80's. I had to remove the heater box because the blower failed. It was a nearly all-day project, and the instructions were barely more detailed than what you wrote. ;) Yet the same manual would present some other procedures in excruciating detail, like "1. Using a 13 mm wrench, remove the four mounting bolts. 2. Lift the bracket straight up to gain access to the 10 mm hex bolt …"