Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auto Filter vs Envelope Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pudgefactor, Aug 24, 2002.

1. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    So what is the difference between an auto filter and an envelope filter?? I'm guessing that the
    AF triggers the same for every note and the EF triggers differently according to how hard the string
    is played. Is this right??

I was just trying out the Maxon AF9 (very nice) and I noticed a lot of the sounds I liked were
    way too similiar to what I got from my BassIQ.

Also seems like the AF9 is made of the same mold as a Mutron. Practically the same settings and
    options as each other. Are they equivalent? The AF9 sure would take up much less space...........

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Our esteemed Moderator is a filter addict. Where is he when you need him?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ime, auto-wahs (or auto-filters) generally cycle through their wah at a constant, setable speed, whereas your assumptions about envelope-following filters was correct - they use the amplitude of the signal from the instrument in determining the wah frequency, hence the term "evelope following", implying that it follows the volume envelope of the input signal.

i've played on some effects where you could use the volume envelope to control various elements of the effect, like the delay time or the phaser depth. neat stuff, especially with the delay.