Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

auto pitch correction

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the overlooked, Jul 29, 2003.

1. the overlooked

the overlooked Guest

Jun 8, 2003
    can auto pitch correction make anyone sound good?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No.

You have to be fairly close to the pitch in order for autotuning to work correctly.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can remember a case where it made me sound bad! ;)

So I was recording in a digital studio with Pro Tools and we kept hearing this clicking and it took ages to work out what it was at first, as we were recording the rhythm section together, but then we isolated it to the bass track.

Then we examined all parts of the signal chain - after quite a while we realised that "auto pitch correction" had been left on and my bass line included a slide between notes which happened about 5 times every chorus!! :mad:

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    First off...

[​IMG]

Secondly...

You're talking about AutoTuning a bass? If so, I assume you mean fretless?

I'm aware that some people do use AutoTune on a fretless, but I can't comment on its effectiveness (you won't catch me anywhere near AutoTune :D).

If you're talking about the usual application of it - vocals, then no, IMO, it can't make you sound good. I recognize the sound of AutoTuned vocals on the radio, and I really dislike it. It sounds really unnatural. Even the best singers don't sing perfectly in tune, which is the way it should be.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Moley summed that up.

Overlooked-After giving you the warning I just look forward to doing your housecleaning.

6. the overlooked

the overlooked Guest

Jun 8, 2003
    you look forward to my house cleaning? what?

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nothing. Enjoy the thread

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Pro-tools can make anyone sound good. All you need is a good editor. With a little auto correct and some editing chops, you can really fix alot of stuff.

I have heard the worst singers magically transformed into songbirds. But I aggree with Moley. The "slick" sound on the vocals does not do it for me.