Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auto Refresh 'My Talkbass'

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by grovest, Jul 2, 2004.

1. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    My suggestion is to add an auto refresh (e.g., using a meta tag) to http://www.talkbass.com/forum/usercp.php?

The advantage would be that one could easily see when subscribed threads are responded to while still multitasking.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    [devil's advocate]

Or you could click the refresh button... :meh:

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Multitasking is the key concept here... :meh:

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, since it takes a whole umm... 1 second for the page to load after clicking the refresh button, which also takes a whole second, I just don't see how that could damage your multi tasking. If you don't have two seconds to spare, you really shouldn't be bothering with Talkbass at that moment anyways.

But hey, thats just my opinion. If enough people want it and Paul is willing to do it, then whatever.

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    If you would like to have a prolonged conversation with me about how I use my computer I do answer all my PMs.

But the short version is that it is very easy for me to leave a portion of my web browser open and moved to the far left. The majority of the screen is then used as my workspace, which is usually some kind of development. If I have to break flow to click refresh I am less likely to participate in threads. (maybe that's a good thing....) However, if 'My Talkbass' auto refreshed, I could have a passive, visiual indication (bold links) of when threads are updated. Then I would know I had something to read and maybe respond to when I am at a workflow ebb.

The code to implement this, if Paul chose to, would literally be one line.